'Soft Tissue' saddle sores...

In this current lock down situation, my other half and I have decided to take up cycling.. I've got myself a nifty little Carrera Vanquish, which he kindly serviced and get running like a dream. I love riding it!

The problem comes here; I've only managed three rides, because of the pain down below. I am so sore, and yesterday's little jaunt was actually painful, so I had to turn back after a mile.

After the first trip, I bought myself a pair of Endura under-shorts, nice padding, comfortable, good fit etc.. I'm still a little tender from the first go out but that was a week ago now, the second ride was Ok, a little better (yesterday) but today was just gruelling.

I am pretty sure I need a new saddle but don't know what to be looking for, a cut out, or just one of those that supports your bottom, with nothing up front? I've bought a Selle Italia cut-out one to try..

I feel comfortable in the position I'm sat in, yesterday we tried adjusting the existing saddle (moved it forward and tilted it down a little), but that backfired. I've got the saddle that came with the bike, quite a long taper with a 'bump' in the nose, if that makes sense?

Aside from a saddle, is there anything else I can do with regards the pain/sores? I'd like to get out and ride daily but just don't want to now! I only have one pair of undershorts, and I did wear undies under them, does it really make a huge difference if you don't?

I'm new to road biking (all biking, haven't ridden in well over a decade and that was a mountain bike!), I love the bike and the position, so don't really want to go MTB/hybrid. My partner thinks maybe I should go with straight rather than drop bars, but I love them.. Is he right perhaps?

Just to confirm - it's not my backside/sit-bones that are the problem!

Help

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    My wife has this problem and to be honest we've not managed to come up with a great solution yet. I suspect her problem isn't helped by her insistence on running her saddle about 3 inches too low so she can touch the ground with both feet but that's a whole other debate!

In terms of saddles, you might just find it is a case of trial and error. Some bike shops have demo saddles you can borrow to try and some will do a saddle fitting service.

I got my wife a Selle Italia one which was very well reviewed but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem entirely. I'm thinking she should try one of the ISM style ones next although they're not cheap.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/the-best-womens-bike-saddles-163399

One thing that has helped a bit is chamois cream applied to the sensitive area. She has this one which is designed for women...
    https://www.velovixen.com/products/hoo-ha-ride-glide-chamois-cream?variant=28863405785172&gclid=CjwKCAjwqpP2BRBTEiwAfpiD-99z3d9IkatgTEpetv_a7b71_g8dpMDtEqorcDNnD0HBlGlSQvvf5hoC0ysQAvD_BwE
  • Thanks mrb123.

I looked at the ISM ones, too - particularly the touring one, that looked quite appealing but perhaps a bit odd looking on the bike! Still, if the new one doesn't help, it's got to be worth a try!

Thank you for the link to the chamois cream, I will look to get some and see if that helps, too!

None of our local bike shops are letting people trial saddles at the moment, given concerns over the virus being spread etc.. I suppose I could always buy and return!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Wearing undies probably hasn't helped by the way. True for men and women - cotton is awful when it gets sweaty and it definitely causes friction
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    No underwear under the shorts, the pad needs to sit close to your body with nothing in between. Also try some chamois cream, use it liberally.

What is the exact issue? If it's "flap mash" caused by the middle of the saddle, then try a cut-out saddle. If it's more at the front due to pressure from the saddle nose, then a padded nose or nose-less saddle might be better -- see various triathlon ones, or ISM as noted above.

Have a read of this to learn more, https://www.casquette.co.uk/know-how/2017/4/22/saddle-lore

Personally I use Specialized Power saddles (short nose that I'm not pressed up against, generous cut-out) but saddles are very personal and I have tried many over the years with varying succes...
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    "Flap Mash" :D that's awesome - but describes it perfectly!

I have a specialized oura saddle - not cheap but I really like it. Saddles are so personal though. I like a big cut out and one that slightly raises up at the back.

ebay is always a good starter point, you can try various styles to try and whittle down what you like!

i originally tried pointing saddle down a bit but found i was slipping forward which ended up making it worse. the cut out and pads were what saved it for me.

please don't wear underwear with the pads! If you go far enough the elastic leg bands will become one with your skin and you'll have to peel them off very carefully (I speak from experience!)
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Hi Aimee,
    My wife Caroline has had similar problems hence me posting and hope this helps.
    A couple of things that have really helped her.
    The Endura undershorts are ok, but actually offer much less cushioning. Caroline now uses either bib shorts, or fully padded waist shorts under her mtb shorts. She has found this to be much better. She varies the shorts she uses from ride to ride too.
    Her and her friends all used to wear underwear, like I did when I got back into cycling, but this definitely does not help! Go commando!
    I also got her to try using chamois cream and she now uses this for every ride. The Assos cream is fab. Don’t worry about buying the women’s version as you get much
    less and there seems to be no difference. The mucoff cream is great too.
    From my own experience of saddle sores, back off a little bit and then go again. Some people recommend application of sudo cream after a ride to aid healing. Haven’t tried this.
    Trying these steps before changing the saddle might be worth it. The cut off saddles might be good.
    Persevere in sorting this. I was suffering with saddle sores a couple of months ago, but am fine now. I was using the turbo and this is quite intense.
    Good luck with this!
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Sorry if this sounds patronising but you are using a women's specfic saddle arn't you?
    Men and women are different "down there" and need different shapes of saddle.
    Frank Yates
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited May 2020
    Have a look at what Phil Burt has to say on his vlog on you tube. Don't get into buying saddles until you have more info. My wife's issues and they were long and painful were solved by pressure mapping and a couple of other things. there could be a slight leg discrepancy (most people are asymmetrical) or an issue like displaced pelvis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI_g8N3Ll_E

kate Butler is enthusiastic but note she is just a vlogger and refers to Phil Burt re issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5MCVFYiKRE

Cyclefit in London are v.knowledgeable re all this. Pressure mapping cost £150 some years ago but it was a whole afternoon. Worked out cheaper than keep buying/returning saddles
  • turbo_hamster
    turbo_hamster Posts: 122
    All of the above. Also, the soft mucous membrane parts can be lubricated before the ride with KY Jelly or similar, to help avoid friction. The chamois cream shouldn't be applied to the soft bits, but is helpful in keeping the skin you are sitting on comfortable. An acquaintance loaned me her ISM saddle, which was a revelation. I got my own, and the "soft parts" no longer get mashed, although the sit-bones still have complaints. There is such a variety of saddles available, and perhaps borrowing from friends would be the way to go. My favourite saddle is a man's Specialized Toupe Gel, which my partner could not get along with. It took about 100 miles to get used to it. However, the "mashing" should not be tolerated even for one mile.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

All of the above. Also, the soft mucous membrane parts can be lubricated before the ride with KY Jelly or similar, to help avoid friction. The chamois cream shouldn't be applied to the soft bits, but is helpful in keeping the skin you are sitting on comfortable. An acquaintance loaned me her ISM saddle, which was a revelation. I got my own, and the "soft parts" no longer get mashed, although the sit-bones still have complaints. There is such a variety of saddles available, and perhaps borrowing from friends would be the way to go. My favourite saddle is a man's Specialized Toupe Gel, which my partner could not get along with. It took about 100 miles to get used to it. However, the "mashing" should not be tolerated even for one mile.

Do you have a recommendation for a particular model of the ISM saddles?
  • I am having the exact same problem and I went to my doctor for advice who told me that it was probably due to the menopause, and she prescribed me some vaginal tablets and cream, but they take about 3 months to work so I'm still waiting to see if they will help.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    think you Dr may not be a cyclist. its mainly about saddle position, type of saddle (width, cutout or not). Shorts right size
  • joser
    joser Posts: 3
    Try lowering the saddle half an inch to see if it helps. Then play with saddle inclination.
    My wife loves selle smp, same as myself, in diferent withs and models.
    You could buy (online) try and return the saddles you dont like.
    Good luck.