First bike - frame size

Hello,

I want to buy my first road bike.
Went to a couple of bike stores but getting different advise . So I'm wondering if I could get a bit of help here :)

- 163 cm (5 ft. 4)
- inseam 80 cm (30.48)

Geomtry : https://www.cube.eu/nl/2020/bikes/women/road-cyclocross/axial-ws/cube-axial-ws-race-iridiumnaqua-2020/

Frame size 47 or 50?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    What advice were you given, did the stores have both sizes in stock for you to try, or do they have to order the bike in for you?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,508
    I was told I was "between sizes" when I went. I think all it meant was that there is an overlap in manufacturers sizes and I was in the overlap.
    That might be true, but one felt more comfortable than the other.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Looking at the geometry table for the bike, there is little difference in the Reach, 47cm is 365mm and 50cm is 369mm, while the Stack is 47cm, 525mm and 50cm is 538mm. The handlebars will be 13mm higher on the 50cm bike, this is excluding the stack height of the stem, zero stack headset top cap and stem spacers supplied. The table does not give the length of the handle bar stem, could be a 60, 80 or 100mm. The crankset length is 170mm on both bikes, I would have expected the 47cm to have had 165mm crankset as an option seeing as Cube are selling this as a womens specific bike. You may or may not be aware that front wheel toe overlap can be an issue for some on small frames with 700c. These are the things you need to ask about in store. On the 47cm bike you will have more seatpost visible which can aid flex and therefore comfort. However the handlebars will be 13mm lower, if this does not suit, you can ask the store to reverse the stem from the negative to positive (pointing up) orientation. Hope this helps
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    The rule of thumb is to get a smaller frame. You can easily size a bike-up to meet your requirements. This is where bike shops that build up from a frame are your best bet. Probably up until ten years ago the idea you went into a shop to buy a good race bike and just picked a small or a medium was unheard of. That was only for cheapy bikes ...... now it is the norm even for mega priced bikes.

So buy the frame you can afford and like the look of, so I am just about to buy a Bowman. But Cinelli, Deddachi, Cannondale, Tifosi etc. whatever gets you a 50ish they all do a good range of sizes and frame designs. Source your groupset in the cheapest way, same with wheels. Then go to a good bike shop with a proper fitter and let them know the prices you have found and let them sort you a groupset, stem, saddle etc. You will get a bike you will be so much happier with as it'll be fitted to your needs and have a good set of components.

I have only made the mistake once of buying an off the peg bike in 30 years as it was an insurance job. Won't be happening again.