Balancing your Wheels

Has anyone ever bothered to balance their wheels and if so did it make any noticeable difference?

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    What is wrong with your wheels that makes you think balancing would be the answer?

I might be wrong but I don't think that it's a thing on bike wheels. Still, live and learn.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited May 2020
    You might like to look at this bondurant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgiUcbS64c
    there are others as well, so I take you back to my original question, its easy enough to do, but does it make any difference?
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Never would have thought...!

Hope someone can answer.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    14 mins of video?

No never balanced my wheels. Never felt the need.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,705
    If it cuts out a source of vibration it hast to be worth it, it takes hardly any time to do both wheels on a bicycle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What vibration though ? I've never noticed any.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    I've had great success balancing my front wheel. The magnet attached to the spokes was causing an imbalance, so I added one opposite. Since then my speed has doubled :)
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If you run tubeless with sealant floating about static balancing will be impossible.
  • Sutton_Rider
    You're quite right Les. I've been playing about with a spread sheet today (I know I need to get out more) Looking at approximate weights required based on the oscillation of the wheel, just to get a better picture of whats required and if its worth the effort.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lockdown has a lot to answer for...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,682
    Side to side balancing may be worthwhile.
  • Sutton_Rider

What is side to side balancing? What I'm talking about is the same as when you change your car tires, you have the wheels balanced.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204

I've had great success balancing my front wheel. The magnet attached to the spokes was causing an imbalance, so I added one opposite. Since then my speed has doubled :)

I just tried that and went out for a ride. He's bloody right you know!
  • lesfirth

When a car wheel is balanced weights are added to both sides of the wheel to rectify imbalance in a radial and an axial direction . Car wheels are very wide when compared to a bike wheel and imbalance in an axial direction is what causes your steering to shake side to side when a resonant frequency is reached.
    Axial ( side to side ) imbalance in a bike wheel will be negligible. So IMHO, as I only go fast downhill, the best thing is to do is just go and ride your bike,which is what I am going to do now. :)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,682
    lesfirth said:

When a car wheel is balanced weights are added to both sides of the wheel to rectify imbalance in a radial and an axial direction . Car wheels are very wide when compared to a bike wheel and imbalance in an axial direction is what causes your steering to shake side to side when a resonant frequency is reached.
    Axial ( side to side ) imbalance in a bike wheel will be negligible. So IMHO, as I only go fast downhill, the best thing is to do is just go and ride your bike,which is what I am going to do now. :)
    Oh god. They all took me seriously.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Humans are doomed as a species...

• lesfirth
    Yes. Life is too complicated for simple soles like me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    edited May 2020

lesfirth said:

Oh god. They all took me seriously.
    I was going to make a comment about side to side balance and not falling off but apathy got the better of me. I did hope the whole thing was a wind up to be honest.