Groupset and wheels - back in the game!

I'm back riding after a 4 year hiatus and have dusted off my Trek FuelEX and have realised that although the bike was stored away clean it clearly is in need of some TLC and possibly a new pair of wheels and new cassette/chainset etc.

The problem is the sizing and options are now a bit alien to me. The bike is a 2009 frame so sits on 26" wheels with a 3x9 chainset (XT). When I look for wheels, naturally I drift to Hope, it seems 26" is now pretty much gone, along with what was a pretty standard 3x9 drivetrain.

What on earth should I be looking at for XC/Trail riding to replace my old gear and that will fit on my 'old' frame?!? I still like the level of gear I was at, so around the Shimano XT/Hope price range.

Thanks.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    2-4 weeks for delivery but these are a Hope 26" wheelset from Rush Cycles, £350.

• steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Those hope hoops look familiar, just the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks.
    The 2x11 look more like what I'm used to, is there anything I should look out for in particular when looking to switch from a 3x9 set up? Will my current freehub accept the new 11 sprocket cassette? I see they come in micro-spline, shimano, sram etc. What do I want? My 9 sprocket cassette is SRAM but I have also had shimano on the same freehub.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020
    Sram NX and SX (11 or Eagle 12 speed) use standard Shimano freehubs. Any 11 speed Shimano cassettes still use standard freehub too.

Only the new Shimano 12 speed cassettes use the microspline freehubs.

My bike is 1x11 and has a NX 11 speed cassette with Hope Fortus
    wheelset (Standard freehub), Shimano SLX 11 speed rear mech and shifter.

I think 1x11/12 set up are great and never going back to 2x or 3x.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

I think 1x11/12 set up are great and never going back to 2x or 3x.

100% agree with that! :)<3