Best FS 2nd hand for upto £800?

So, I've been out on my old Whyte 46 that I hold so dear (I know, it's virtually an antique), I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus, and a friend has been joining me, social distancing obviously adhered to, along some local trials and his lad has been along for the ride too.
They're both trying to get out as much as possible and his lad is after a new bike for his birthday after having a go on mine. He has upto 800 quid to spend, isn't bothered about it being new but his lad is dead set on a full susser despite me trying to dissuade him. I'm out of the loop, have been for a number of years, hencenthe bike I ride 😁, and as such have no idea what his money will get him. I've seen some old Marin Rock springs and the occasional quake and such like, but they seem to be going for silly money. Biking market seems to have gone bonkers, even old Whyte 46's have been going for £700+ on ebay.

So its over to you all, the pros, the people who have more knowledge about what he could get for his money, as I'm all out of ideas, other than selling him my Whyte for £800 😉

Cheers,

Scott
"If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Worth considering a brand new bike? Decathlon do a range of full suspension mountain bikes, BT'win Rockriders starting from £300ish.

Obviously not the best spec but plenty of money left over to upgrade parts if desired. Have seen these bikes being fully upgraded with top components so can't be too bad overall.

If I was young again I would have been over the moon with a bike like this.
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531

Worth considering a brand new bike? Decathlon do a range of full suspension mountain bikes, BT'win Rockriders starting from £300ish.

Obviously not the best spec but plenty of money left over to upgrade parts if desired. Have seen these bikes being fully upgraded with top components so can't be too bad overall.

If I was young again I would have been over the moon with a bike like this.

Cheers for the input. I did forward on your thoughts and I've tried to make suggestions on what he should get for his money, mentioning sizing etc, and that a sorted hardtail would probably be the way to go. His lad has his mind set on a full suss though so he's gone and picked up a 2nd hand Voodoo Canzo in a large 🙄
    Looks OK to be fair, just hope he gets on with it come his birthday.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Scott
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!