More newbie questions

dartmoorcf
dartmoorcf Posts: 1
edited May 2020 in Road beginners
Hi there
Having yanked my old mountain bike out of the barn and sorted out the gears, brakes and other gubbins, I have enjoyed pootling about on the roads for the last few months. Unfortunately with an old bike the pedals creak and the derailer is 28 years old. I'm now 49. I'm doing things d for fun and exercise.

So ive been bike hunting.
One thing that put me off a road bike wsz pot holes! Road bikes all seem to gave really thin tyres. Also ive got past memories of endlessly changing tyres of my Dawes Fox as a kid. Maybe things have changed. Dawes still seem to he around but I was looking at Giant, Forme or at a stretch, a Cannondale.

So I bought a hybrid. Its a Marin San Rafael and I love it. Ive been all over the place on it. To be honest there wasn't a huge amount of choice in my size. The bike shop had precisely one bike to choose from.... So its handy I like it

Now here's the question....
I am really enjoying this cycling malarkey.
I was wondering how much difference a road bike would make on hills....or is of more about the rider? I am 6'2 and 13 stone
(83kg). I was 15.5 stone, so the exercise is helping.
My Marin weighs 13lg. The old Claude butler is 15.5kg!
Ive seen a few online videos from GCN where they've compared a 6kg bike with a much heavier 9kg bike...
.hmmmm. If only someone would compare a truly heavy bike with one of these lightweight racers!
I guess it would make quite a difference as its the equivalent of carrying 5 or 6 bags of sugar up the hill.
I am finding I am faster going up some really big hills now. The joy of Dartmoor
So many hills.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Phil

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    You could lose weight off that bike by swopping out the 2.65kg suspension fork for a rigid type. Yes you would notice a difference with a 9kg-8kg road bike in comparison to your 13kg Marin.