Strava Route Planner

manglier
manglier Posts: 1,212
Does Anyone know whether SRP plays nice with Wahoo yet? I know I can use RideWithGPS or Komoot to get a fully functioning route but RideWithGPS is too clunky and Komoot just stopped working.

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I think it does play nice now but you only get TBT on the Wahoo Roam I think?

Might be wrong about that though.

I use RWGPS & a Bolt which works OK.
  • Never had a problem with Komoot. Ever. Seems odd that yours just stopped working. Syncs flawlessly with my Bolt
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Is Komoot the best option if Strava is going to be £50 a year? I don't mind paying a bit but over the 20 years since I got into cycling as a hobby I think a £1000 would be a bit excessive for the amount of times I've actually planned routes.

Don't need TBT, would be a bonus if any cover footpaths for a walking gps.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I've had Kamoot for awhile now (18 months or so) with the full map package. Though I like the lack of social media/friends on it, when it comes to mapping I've never taken to it. The map itself has the detail but the plotting of a route isn't as easy as other platforms.

Will I make more use of it now Strava took away its main function for me? Possibly, though others such as ridewithgps may become my go to.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Anyone use Ordnance Survey?
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699

Anyone use Ordnance Survey?

I use it for walking routes in combination with Memory Map but don’t know of an application/program specifically for cycling. Haven’t looked TBH
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    mapmyride is free and provides files to export to whichever GPS you're using.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • I've used it for cycling with Memory Map. Needs some care if tbt is required. I wonder what the subscription version is like?Memory Map is quite obsolete by now and needs a lot of user input.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    Strava costs less than £1 per week if you pay for it annually. Those currently on the free version can have premium free for the next 2 months too.
    How much is Komoot?
    RidewithGPS has a nasty habit of sending you down farm tracks though is easy to share routes with others.

Some folks are soooo tight!
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    slowmart said:

mapmyride is free and provides files to export to whichever GPS you're using.

Does that differentiate bridleways from footpaths? I ride on road, and separately off road. ie when on the road bike, I don't want to be routed down bridleways, but when on the mountain bike, I am looking for bridleways not footpaths. My other problem is I have a Giant Neostrack computer, I haven't been able to get it to recognise a Strava route file so end up creating a route in Strava then recreating in the Giant app, which rejects a lot of tiny roads, never mind bridleways!
  • Flâneur

How much is Komoot?
    !

Maps are done by region - no idea on cost, I suspect not as cheap as people would wish.

The premium is circa £60 / year, though I'd argue the benefits are for the few and those who do multi days.

Is Garmin connect any good these days?

Whether people are tight or question the price, I don't believe Strava have helped here. They changed what have been a decade or so or staples even with the differing iterations of Premium/Summit. Probably made worse by the size and scope of such changes, whether people really used them too much. I suspect most people will miss the route planner, the other stuff such as segments they are just annoyed a free product has been removed.

Time will tell how people respond and how Strava does.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    On Komoot's web app, all maps are available. So you can create your route and then export as GPX to your Garmin or Wahoo.

For your Garmin or Wahoo, there are lots of open source maps available.

None of this has to cost anything.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    This is the Komoot page - there does appear to be a subscription Premium service which offers other stuff than the maps - if you just want the world maps it says £30 one off fee - never used any of it so can't comment on ways to get it totally free or not but a £30 one off isn't unreasonable if it's a decent app.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Flâneur
    The app itselfm userability and connectivity is never something I've had an issue with. After playing with the route mapper over the last few days I still think on a basic level Strava was better, however you can do far more with it. Not a complete fan yet, but more so than I was.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy