Bianchi Oltre XR4

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited May 2020 in Road buying advice
Hi.
I’m looking for advice from Oltre XR4 owners please.
I currently own a Giant TCR Advanced SL.

I’ve always fancied a Bianchi and I’ve found myself looking at the Oltre frameset more and more during the lockdown! I’ve found a cheaper 2019.

I’ve had a look at the measurements and I’m now wondering if it’ll suit me.

My Giant is a medium/large...i think the large is 55.5cm ...so I looked at the 55cm Bianchi. My inseam is 84cm and the bianchi configurator came out with a 55.
I’m 6ft tall and from the bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 750mm.

The seat tube and top tube measurements are pretty much the same but it’s the head tube I’m wondering about.

According to specs I found, the head tube length on a 55 is 140mm.
My Giant head tube is 170mm and I have 40mm of spacers on top of that. I use a 100mm stem.

The 57 Bianchi has a head tube of 155mm with the top tube being 10mm longer.

I can’t imagine me being that much lower on the 55. My current set up is very comfy and I’ve ridden Liege/Flanders/Marmotte on the bike.

Have any owners came from another frame and had the lower set up?

Thoughts?

Might have to sit tight til I can physically go to a shop??

Thanks very much

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    What are the stack and reach measurements of the two bikes?
  • Maybe have a look at the Infinito CV? Even though it’s billed as endurance geometry, Id say it’s more “relaxed race” position without being aggressively low. Love mine... super comfortable and very responsive.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Depends on the stack of the Bianchi. TCR's seem to be pretty low at the front (stack of 562mm on most).

I've just gone from a CAAD12 58cm frame with a stack of 598 to a ML TCR Advanced Pro 1 with 562mm & I'm finding it a lot lower at the front even with the spacers maxed out. Taking me a bit of getting used to as not had something so aggressibe before.

As @mrb123 said I would be checking the stack / reach measurements but I think if you find the TCR OK the Bianchi should be fine as well.
  • rc856
    Morning.

Thanks for the replies.

Just tried my best at measuring!

Probably not perfect but I’ve got my TCR stack measured to about 570mm and the reach about 400.

The spec sheet for Bianchi has the size 55 with a stack of 541mm and a reach of 390mm.
    The size 57 has 557 and 395.

Cheers
  • rc856

Maybe have a look at the Infinito CV? Even though it’s billed as endurance geometry, Id say it’s more “relaxed race” position without being aggressively low. Love mine... super comfortable and very responsive.

I guess I’m set on the Oltre.
    When I got the TCR, it was fairly aggressive but I’m just a club rider in his 40’s😄
    It was more a case of wanting the frame rather than being super slammed etc.

I really only ride on the drops on descents.

• mrb123
    rc856 said:

Morning.

Thanks for the replies.

Just tried my best at measuring!

Probably not perfect but I’ve got my TCR stack measured to about 570mm and the reach about 400.

The spec sheet for Bianchi has the size 55 with a stack of 541mm and a reach of 390mm.
    The size 57 has 557 and 395.

Cheers

You're better off Googling the model and year you have and finding the proper figures. Also factor in your stem length and what spacers you run.

Geometry geeks is a good site that has most common models covered.
  • rc856

• mrb123
    Looking at those numbers may be worth putting in the next size up on the Bianchi and see how that compares.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I thought the TCR had a pretty aggressive stack but that Bianchi is even lower!
  • buddy_wr11
    buddy_wr11 Posts: 21
    edited May 2020
    The front end on the Bianchi is very low as I wanted the XR3 but with a level tube and low front I needed the headset spacers piled up high and it looked crap and I very rarely go on the drops so I gave up.
    I would 100% get on one and try it for yourself.
  • rc856
    mrb123 said:

Looking at those numbers may be worth putting in the next size up on the Bianchi and see how that compares.

• mrb123
    Looks like the bigger size is closer to what you have then. An extra 10mm spacer on that and you're as close as you can be, assuming stem lengths are the same.