Defy, Roubaix or something (preferably cheaper!) else?

I am toying with the idea of may be thinking about the possibility of buying a road bike; something comfortable for all days rides. I imagine 85% will be on roads of varying quality and 15% on fire roads. I’m 5’7″ with a 30” inside leg.

The main contenders are the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 (32mm tubeless tyres, good wheels, Carbon D-fuse seatpost & handlebars, boring colour), Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 (al handlebars, 105 oppose to Ultegra) or the Specialized Roubaix Comp (future shock & Pave seat post, flared bars, entry level wheels & tyres).

Has anyone experience of the newer Defys and Roubaix to offer in any sights?

I had an old Al Defy in size small that I never felt particularly confident on and also an old 54cm Trek Domane which felt better but still didn’t fill me full of confidence going downhill. I am used to riding mountain bikes so would prefer something with slightly wider tyres, wider or flared bars and a fast, compliant ride.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    A quick google revealed that a Roubaix Comp is around £3.5k.
    There are a lot of bikes for that kind of money.
    Some endurance bikes that can do mild off-road or some of the more road oriented gravel bikes would fit.
    Focus Paralane
    Ridley Kanzo Speed
    Or something like a Mason Bokeh gets great reviews
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    If you did not feel confident on the Aluxx Defy you had, which has neutral confidence inspiring endurance geometry, then you might be better looking at the Giant Revolt gravel bike or one from Trek, Spec, Cannodale etc.