Shoes

Looking for some recommendations, appreciate shoes are a bit like saddles though!

What I'm looking for is some shoes with 2 BOA's but not with a massively stiff sole.

As you go up the range to get the 2 BOA's the soles inevitably get stiffer which for me as a recreational rider & not a racer isn't ideal. I've had some Fizik R1's recently which I really liked from an adjustment point of view but as well as being slightly too narrow at the toebox the sole was really stiff being full carbon & on longish rides I found this a bit uncomfortable.

I don't mind the 1 dial & Velcro setup but I've found going back to my other shoes after the Fizik's the adjustment of the 2 BOA's is just miles better.

I'm thinking I'll either need to suck it up & just get used to the stiffness of the carbon sole or just go with a flexier sole with 1 BOA unless anyone can help?

Comments

• tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    Specialized Torch 1.0 perhaps. Their stiffness rating of 6.0 (they go up to 10.0). Have a look through the range.

What I like about the more recent Spec shoes is they have a round/wide-ish front across the toebox. Shimano for example tends to cut back the shape a bit around the toes (less room).
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Specialized Torch 1.0 perhaps. Their stiffness rating of 6.0 (they go up to 10.0). Have a look through the range.

What I like about the more recent Spec shoes is they have a round/wide-ish front across the toebox. Shimano for example tends to cut back the shape a bit around the toes (less room).

I've ended up trying loads of different brands over the past few months but Spec isn't one of them for some reason.

The sole stiffness is fine but the Torch 1.0 only have 1 BOA which isn't what I want ideally.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Cycle shoes are made to have a stiff sole, that's the whole point, if you want flexy wear your Nike's.
  • ibr17xvii
    flasher said:

Cycle shoes are made to have a stiff sole, that's the whole point, if you want flexy wear your Nike's.

I get that but there's marked difference between a carbon race sole & a carbon reinforced more "sportve" sole if you want to call it that.

Maybe I can get Nike to make me a pair of flexy cycling shoes to use your analogy.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Tbh. I don't really understand your issue, cycle shoes should be comfortable when you wear them, no matter what the sole is made from, people that wear stiff carbon soled shoes are not "sucking up" any pain.

If your current shoes are uncomfortable it's because they don't fit you correctly.
  • ibr17xvii
    flasher said:

Tbh. I don't really understand your issue, cycle shoes should be comfortable when you wear them, no matter what the sole is made from, people that wear stiff carbon soled shoes are not "sucking up" any pain.

If your current shoes are uncomfortable it's because they don't fit you correctly.

Very useful, thanks for your help.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    I have a high arch and tight tendon in my left foot, so a shoe which can stave off cramp offers me much more than a stiff sole.

I've not tried any with 2 boas, but have had Fizik R3's with a single boa - too tight and high heel uncomfortable. I've always liked Specialized shoes for commuting/mountain biking so got some Torch 2.0
    I've really liked them. Single boa again, but really comfortable.
  • ibr17xvii

I have a high arch and tight tendon in my left foot, so a shoe which can stave off cramp offers me much more than a stiff sole.

I've not tried any with 2 boas, but have had Fizik R3's with a single boa - too tight and high heel uncomfortable. I've always liked Specialized shoes for commuting/mountain biking so got some Torch 2.0
    I've really liked them. Single boa again, but really comfortable.

I quite liked the Fiziks but they were just slightly too narrow at the toebox which was crunching up my toes. Not ideal.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

More likely you need a decent footbed with proper support, unlike the ones that come with shoes, rather then less stiff soles.

• ibr17xvii
    wongataa said:

More likely you need a decent footbed with proper support, unlike the ones that come with shoes, rather then less stiff soles.

Echo this.

I have the G8 2620 insoles & although they're expensive they do the job, for me at least.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    wongataa said:

Not doubting that. The tight tendon is due to a hammer toe. Went to a surgeon but was fobbed off with strapping it, wished I'd been more persistent. I've had 3 pairs of spesh shoes now and really liked the BG insoles. Either way, really happy with current shoes and helps keep cramp at bay.
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    Yes - some makes are too narrow. I found Mavic better for this plus they have some with leather toe areas, so are more flexible (stretchable) and comfortable.