Need explanation what's this for,and how to set it up.

Hi,could somebody please explain me what's this mechanism for,from the pic marked with an orange arrow.Is this a Quick Release (QR),for loosening the pads when removing the wheel or something else?
If yes,does it means i have a two different QR-s that are used for the same function,since i have a QR located on a brake levers with pin which you push to the side to loosen the pads.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Probably. Does it turn about quarter or half turn? They look like they might be old Modolo calipers. Pretty standard approach to put the QR on the caliper. Sounds like you have Campagnolo levers that have the QR function built in, which deactivates if you squeeze the lever IIRC, so it works as a safety as well as meaning they didn't have to manufacture it into the caliper.
  • It's more quarter of a turn.Yes they are modolo calipers but don't know which ones exactly.It has like three levels of "pads to rim" tightening.And the brake levers are Campagnolo.
    So could you tell me which "level" should i set the "winged" bolt?Should i set it where the pads are closest to the rim,halfway,or most outward position?
    Or is it more of a personal preference.
    Like,if i set it to the tightest (in result the pads will block the wheel from spinning) and closing the barrel adjuster to move the pads out from the rim.

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2020
    That sounds right. Set the QR to the closest / innermost position and then adjust cable tension with the barrel adjuster or cable clamp to suit the pad-rim gap you prefer.
  • me-109 said:

That sounds right. Set the QR to the closest / innermost position and then adjust cable tension with the barrel adjuster or cable clamp to suit the pad-rim gap you prefer.

Thanks a lot,it worked.