Advice please.Chain slipping in higher gears

shaun1961
shaun1961 Posts: 16
Fitted a new chain on my road bike.But it keeps slipping in the higher gears.The cassette is in good condition so is the chain ring.It's not doing it all the time but enough to annoy me plus it won't do the bike any good.Advice please.

Comments

• Cassette and rings need changing.
  • skwarczek
    skwarczek Posts: 75
    New bike time?
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020

Cassette and rings need changing.

New chain skipping over older cogs shows original chain has 'stretched' and worn the cogs teeth along with it.

When you put a new chain on worn cogs it doesn't mesh together properly with new 'un-stretched' chain's (shorter) pins and rollers distance.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    i wouldnt change the chain rings, just the cassette. then see.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    i wouldnt change the chain rings, just the cassette. then see.

Yeah, good advice. Chain rings have more chain wrap and unlikely to skip unless really worn.

I've had two chain and cassette replacements before needing to buy new chain rings.

Although worn front rings could accelerate new chain wear and consequently cassettes wear too, I haven't noticed any pre-premature wear overall.

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Please don't buy any new parts until you've at least checked, chain length is good, it's on the right way if directional, there are no sticky links, pin/quick link is installed correctly, adjustment of rear mech is right, it's properly alligned and the mech and cassette are relatively clean.
  • shaun1961
    shaun1961 Posts: 16
    Thanks for the input fellas.Fitted new cassette, indexing nicely.Going for a ride in the morning.Fingers crossed.