Is Richmond Park still closed for bikes?

Was hoping to pop over tomorrow, ride a couple of loops of the trail around the outside for a bit of gravel grinding. Anyone got any news?
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,229
    Still closed
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Someone I follow on Strava did a few laps today, so maybe it has changed?
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'll have a look myself tomorrow. The Thames Towpath is another option but last time I rode there two weeks ago it was heaving with walkers and families on bikes. Gotta keep up the old SD...
    Raymondo

• Although road rather than gravel, I’ve been enjoying this alternative RP route during lockdown... https://www.strava.com/routes/25140241
  • raymondo60
    Nice one rab - I know all that area very well. There are always alternatives of course. Just missing my cuppa coffee at Pembroke Lodge!
    Raymondo

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    rwoofer said:

Someone I follow on Strava did a few laps today, so maybe it has changed?

It's still shut, putting it on Strava is probably not a good idea. This is what the park website is still saying:

Cycling suspended in Richmond Park: Cycling in Richmond Park will be suspended until further notice to support the government's social distancing guidelines to stay two metres apart from others. This measure is designed to prevent crowds at park gates, which have recently become congested with visitors taking their daily exercise.

NHS workers with their staff passes and key workers approved by the Government (see list here) going directly to or returning from their place of work can also cycle through the Richmond Park upon presenting documentation from their employers. Those aged 12 years and under can also continue to cycle in the park. You can read our official press release here.

People riding when they shouldn't only antagonises non-cyclists and does the rest of us no favours at all.
  • raymondo60
    Went today - it is most definitely SHUT for cars and bikes. Fair enough. There's always
    somewhere else to ride. Stay safe people.
    Raymondo

• kingstongraham
    I'd stay away from the path along the Thames too - it is impossible for cyclists to maintain distance from people.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Still shut............
  • kingstongraham
    A few wankers putting their laps on Strava today.

Shut still (unless you are riding with an under 12 year old).

Open weekdays only from tomorrow, before 10am and after 4pm but not the Broomfield/priory lane sides.