A tubeless story and lesson learnt

2»

Comments

• thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited August 2020

The problem isn't with tubeless vs non tubeless, it's a lack of understanding or ignorance.... The OP fitted a lightweight, soft compound racing tyre (i.e. high grip but easily worn out) which failed around the point one could expect such a tyre to last.

I ran race tyres (GP4000s non tubeless) for years and found they needed changing every 1500-2500 miles (the rear was changed at the lower end of that range). I switched to using 'GP 4 seasons' about 3 years ago and guess what, they last longer because they're a harder compound.

4season tyres for me never did more than 1000 miles before i killed them. Currently got the gp5000tl on one bike and while they are wearing out after 1500km perhaps there's another 500km in them they have so far been reliable. I do prefer tyres that wear at a slower rate though. There's a few tubeless tyres that do though.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Cycleclinic, I appreciate a blunt, no nonsense approach and am not a snowflake or offended. Thank you for this response and as for your post stimulating thought, mission accomplished!👍

There is more to running innertubes than the set up alone. I too have never been stranded as I never leave home without the necessary equipment to deal with as much trail issues that I could comprehend happening while in remote place.

Last resort is emergency cash and if all else fails ringing Mrs Reaper and dealing with the earache after!😁 Gladly it has never come to this so far. This is why it's hard to decide which way to go. If tubeless is my eventual choice it will be done properly with the correct tyres, sealant, etc. based on things I read, lots of others opinions, research and never taking too much notice of marketing hype which ends with knowing the bigger picture and making the right choice.

This approach is what I credit most people's approach will be too. You have the luxury of first hand experience dealing with all the eventualities that come with tubeless set ups but who knows this unless they take the plunge and learn for themselves, sometimes the hard way.

The learning curve Is the same for everyone it just depends which stage of the process one is at. You have also gone though this process at some point using the same methods available to you on that learning curve and sure your knowledge on the subject has been earned the hard way in some instances. Thanks for an
    Interesting and thought provoking post Pal.👏👍
  • I run tubeless on my mountain bike to help avoid pinch punctures. I looked at converting my lightweight road bike to save rotating mass but decided it wasn't worth the fuss. My tourer runs with slime filled tubes, what does a few more oz. matter on a fully loaded tourer?