Is tubeless worth it?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
So my new gravel tyres (hutchinson Override 35c) are on the gravel bike but currently running tubes. My wheelset is tubeless compatible but I would need to invest in valves and new tape.

My question is does it really make that much difference? I like the idea of better puncture protection but given I am a heavy rider (96kg) I cant really get away with low pressures so that selling point is somewhat lost on me and as far as I can tell I would need to replace the sealant every 3 months which seems like a pain.

Would a 35c gravel tyre running at 65 psi tubeless 'feel' different to the same tyre at the same pressure but with a tube?

Might be tempted to go TL but if the only real benefit in my case is added puncture protection not sure if its worth it - I am too heavy to risk running sub 60 psi and I don't like the feel of really squishy tyres.

Am I missing something crucial here with TL

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I dont think you're missing anything, but the whole tubeless thing is like religion, and full of false promises and fantastical supporting evidence. If you're running higher pressures there is no real advantage, the faff and complete ball-ache associated with sealing non sealing sealing non sealing holes on a ride is the reality.

I appreciate some people have never had a puncture since using them but frankly on the whole, the jury is out.

My personal view is that it all sounds good the translation is that tubes are more convenient. on the whole.

But good way to start a raging discussion :)

btw I also never had a problem with rim brakes and dont find discs an improvement, just different and a very expensive change.

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    I'm happy with good old fashioned inner tubes on my mountain bike.

Bought a pack of 6 for £12, puncture repair kit for £2 and still got 2 left, 3 years later!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2020
    I'm a tubeless convert but it takes a bit of perseverance. First of all read the guide on Cycleclinic website. Second get some VAR levers which overcome the difficulty mounting some tyres on some rim combos. Thirdly, once you've fitted them leave them on. Top up sealant every few months if you really want to but it's not vital. Don't try and use a tube in the event of a puncture, just plug it with a worm or a dart with the wheel on the bike. That's it. I'm 17 stone and run my 25 mms at about 90 psi but I've gone as low as 80 and as high as 110.

ETA there's less choice with tubeless road tyres and they're usually a bit pricey so you need to look for bargains.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    On the road it's debatable.
    Off the road it's worth it, you'll be wanting to run those tyres below 65psi off the road unless you want all your fillings to fall out.

Depends what you're going to use your gravel bike for.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

On the road it's debatable.
    Off the road it's worth it, you'll be wanting to run those tyres below 65psi off the road unless you want all your fillings to fall out.

Depends what you're going to use your gravel bike for.

Unless your riding very mild stuff, at the original posters weight which I’m close to, the tyres will squirm if the pressures are dropped, and or rim strikes.

I personally hate squirm, I’ve found at my weight and usage that 60psi seems to work, as ever depends on usage.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Shortfall pretty much has it covered above. I am also a convert, I find the ride far more forgiving.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Thanks on balance think I will stick to tubes 👍
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited May 2020
    I did road tubeless and have gone back to tubes.
    It's a bit of a faff, but I was okay with some faff indoors in the warm and dry to avoid a roadside repair in the cold rain.

The big risk is a roadside flat and the tyre comes off the rim when it's game over and you need a medevac.

Mavic's new UST standard (or similar) may get me back to tubeless one day.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237

I'm happy with good old fashioned inner tubes on my mountain bike.

Bought a pack of 6 for £12, puncture repair kit for £2 and still got 2 left, 3 years later!

You would have probably spend 100 quid in sealant only in the meantime... :D
    left the forum March 2023