Best FS for £1500ish

Hi all,

First post and it’s probably one of those “oh not again” ones.

I’m looking for my first FS bike and have narrowed it down to 4, but I’m open to other options.

The Sonder Evol NX Eagle
https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-evol/products/sonder-evol-nx-eagle-special

The Sonder Cortex NX Eagle
https://alpkit.com/collections/ex-display-sonder-bikes/products/sonder-ex-display-cortex-nx-eagle-large-1

The Bossnut Triple B
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15905428/calibre-triple-b-mountain-bike-15905428

The Bossnut
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684

Obviously there is about £600 in price difference between the cheapest and most expensive of these bikes, but I’d rather buy more expensive once than cheap twice.

I’ve done some digging with google, and see that both the Bossnut’s get great reviews, but I like the fact the Sonder is a small British made to order company local to me. I also like the Evol having the creek shock that gets great reviews, although it’s to be noted I’m a novice on a mountain bike!

Another point I found is I would be recommended a large frame size on the Bossnut, but a large Bossnut frame is the same size as an extra large Sonder frame apart from 15mm more reach, and they recommend a large which is equivalent to a Bossnut medium?

What’s your opinions or do you have any other bikes worth mentioning?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Lots of bikes to choose from so recommend deciding on 27.5 or 29er, type of terrain you will ride to narrow down options.

Bossnut ok except looses out on Boost width axles but not a big difference really.

Sonder looks good and more individual and exclusive. Rest of spec much the same comparing to each other.

Have a look a Giant Stance 2 as another option in price category.

Generally stick with newer trends of 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains as are user friendly. Boost thru axles for a bit of extra stiffness. Good brand of air forks/suspension Rockshox, Fox etc.

The rest is down to newer trends of decent geometry, (long, low, slack) frame and good wheels/hubs is a bonus.

When you choose the one you like the look of do plenty of research, check user reviews and 'get to know' your chosen bike before it gets delivered.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What type of riding will you be mainly doing (trail, xc, etc)?
    That should be your initial guide for the best suited bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

What type of riding will you be mainly doing (trail, xc, etc)?
    That should be your initial guide for the best suited bike.

To be honest it will be something that’s the jack of all trades but comfy to boot, (I’m old and fat so hardtails ache me something daft. It wasn’t till I borrowed a friends FS that I thought, ooooonthis is more comfy!

Lots of bikes to choose from so recommend deciding on 27.5 or 29er, type of terrain you will ride to narrow down options.

Bossnut ok except looses out on Boost width axles but not a big difference really.

Sonder looks good and more individual and exclusive. Rest of spec much the same comparing to each other.

Have a look a Giant Stance 2 as another option in price category.

Generally stick with newer trends of 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains as are user friendly. Boost thru axles for a bit of extra stiffness. Good brand of air forks/suspension Rockshox, Fox etc.

The rest is down to newer trends of decent geometry, (long, low, slack) frame and good wheels/hubs is a bonus.

When you choose the one you like the look of do plenty of research, check user reviews and 'get to know' your chosen bike before it gets delivered.

Thank you. I will take a look!

Out of interest, what would you say the better buy is between the 2 Sonders (I think they have my heart) haha
  • reaperactual
    Not that familiar with Sonder Pal. I have an Orange hardtail and Hope wheels (27.5) so fully agree with you on local and British quality brands.

More down to wheel size between the two. 29" for nice, long, smooth xc rides. 27.5 for more off road is my preference but is a personal thing.

Lots of my friends like 29 wheel size for all types of riding.

But I moved from 26" wheels on previous bike so I was attracted with the so called 'happy medium' and best of both worlds theory.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Key difference between the Sonders is the amount of travel, so the type of riding you plan to do should dictate your choice.

As a novice, if you're planning to do local xc trails and maybe UK trail centres I'd have thought the lower travel one would be the best choice.

At this sort of money also consider a Whyte T130
  • reaperactual
    Each of the Sonders will handle the same as travel is relative to wheel size.

Generally 29ers have less travel than 27.5" wheeled bikes.
  • mm94210
    mm94210 Posts: 40
    If it must be a FS then the Vitus Mythique VRX is worth a look (although might be sold out now. Another good option is a Calibre Triple B.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Whyte is another great British brand. I had a Whyte T130 for over three years and the wheel bearings and the suspension pivot bearings never gave me a minutes bother. The headset and BB needed doing though. The bike rode like it had at least 20mm more suspension than the 130mm it really had. Fantastic geometry too!

I would have that bike to this day, but my knees went and I had to buy an emtb. I hung on to the Whyte as I really did not want to let it go, but I just couldn't ride it for more than 10 miles at a time. The guy that bought that bike from me was a lucky bu99er!