Is this chainring the wrong size for the chain?

Swapping cranks on my 1x8, but the chain is not fitting onto the chainring properly - its super snug and once you get about 1/2 around it stops fitting into the teeth, and the links that do drop in often jam up and don't pull off.
Here's a pic of what I mean where it stops lining up:

I'm trying to put on a Origin8 SS crankset - the one I received 2 weeks ago ended up being a 1/8 chain version - I didn't notice that when buying it and I had THIS exact problem. I realized I hadn't ordered the 3/32 chain version, so I found it on amazon, ordered it. It arrived, and the box says 3/32 as well (the UPC/price tag does anyway). But as you can see I am having the same problem.

Did I get sent another 1/8 version in a mislabeled box? Is that even the problem? What would cause this?
For reference I am using the same chain I was using before with the previous crank without issue, which is a Sugino RD2; which is 3/32.
I just want to get this bike finished so I can sell it. Send help.
Thanks

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Your chain is knackered.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    edited May 2020
    All speed chains are the same link length, only the width changes between speeds. As Les says, chain looks worn, and needs replacing.
    Do you have a chain tool to measure the wear?
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699

Yes, a standard chain link spacing (pitch) is 1/2" however...
    Taking a closer look at the pic the chain (pitch) appears to be too short!

Pull the chain taught, take your steel rule and measure a dozen pairs of links, it should equal 12"