Campagnolo 11 speed and 10 speed compatibility

Dlloyd15
Dlloyd15 Posts: 5
I'm currently using a Campag Veloce 10 speed groupset, but want to move to an 11 speed with better ratios on the back.

I've seen good prices online for Centaur parts but have heard they might not be compatible with the Velcoce shifters?

Once done I'll be riding with:
Centaur 11 speed cassette
Centaur 11 speed rear derailer
Chorus 11 speed chain
Veloce 10 speed front derailer
Veloce 10 speed shifters

Would this be compatible and would everything work fine or will I have to upgrade the whole groupset?

Thanks!

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    no. 10 speed rear shifter will not work with 11 speed system.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Dlloyd15
    Thanks for the reply! Would I be able to use a 12-30 cassette with my current setup? (Veloce short cage and 50-34 on the front)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited May 2020
    IIRC Campagnolo recommend a 29 tooth max but I use a Shimano 11-30 on the turbo. Using Athena 11 speed though but I think you’d be okay.
    PS - Either go all in 10 speed or 11 speed. Don't mix and match.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I use the Centaur 10 speed 12-30 on my 10 speed Centaur group with std rear derailleur and it works fine.
  • Dlloyd15
    edited May 2020
    flasher said:

I use the Centaur 10 speed 12-30 on my 10 speed Centaur group with std rear derailleur and it works fine.

Do you have the medium or short cage Centaur derailleur?

pblakeney said:

IIRC Campagnolo recommend a 29 tooth max but I use a Shimano 11-30 on the turbo. Using Athena 11 speed though but I think you’d be okay.

Thanks, I'm not going to mix and match anymore, just trying to decide if its worth upgrading my whole groupset on a 10 year old bike or upgrading my bike.
  • Dlloyd15
    edited May 2020
    flasher said:

Do you have the short cage or medium cage derailleur?

pblakeney said:

Thanks, I won't be mixing components now, but am just trying to decide if I should upgrade the components on my 10 year old bike or the bike itself.
  • Dlloyd15
    flasher said:

Do you have the short cage or medium cage derailleur?

pblakeney said:

Thanks, I won't be mixing components now, but am just trying to decide if I should upgrade the components on my 10 year old bike or the bike itself.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Dlloyd15 said:

Do you have the medium or short cage Centaur derailleur?

Short