Rock Shox Monarch Plus advice

Looking for some advice.
I had a seal kit lying around so decided to service my Monarch (Debonair).
I removed it from my bike, let the air out, and removed the outer debonair shell. Quickly realised I'd need a strap wrench to open the can proper, so greased the o-rings and put it back together.
But when I've pumped it back up to the correct psi the shock is very soft and just by pushing down on the bike it bottoms out?

I've got the strap wrench on order now.
Any ideas why it's not stiffer when under pressure?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Firstly if you removed the shock first and then let the air out I'm surprised that you are still alive or not seriously injured!! Always, always let the air out first before releasing a shock from the upper and lower mounting bolts. In fact for good measure, once the air is out press on the Schrader valve top open it and then lean on the bike to compress the shock some more.

Once all the air is out, the air can should unscrew easily with your just your hands.

As for the problem afterwards, I have two suggestions:
    1) The shock has a major air leak, which is why you were able to remove it without letting out the air first! Doing what you did has exaggerated the leak. It needs a proper service, or at least a discussion with the SRAM Tech Centre.
    2) You have inflated the shock but not used the correct procedure. Go to the Rockshox website and look up the type of shock you have and look for the set up procedure. It will probably tell you to inflate to 50psi (for example), cycle the shock through at least 50% (for ex) of its travel, then add another 50psi and then repeat until you get to your desired pressure. This ensures that the negative air chamber is properly filled, or something like that. Procedures vary by shock type.
  • dkcrooby
    dkcrooby Posts: 6
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have added that all pressure was released, and the valve core was removed to ensure no air remained. I mistakenly did not add this as I assumed it would be obvious.

Once the outer debonair sleeve is removed, the can can definitely not be unscrewed by hand. Having watched a few videos now it's evident that they all use a strap wrench.

There is no major leak, but I have not inflated it properly as you have suggested in point 2.

Thanks for your help.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I only assumed that you had not done it in the right order because you said so in your initial post.
    "I removed it from my bike, let the air out, and removed the outer debonair shell".

i didn't want anybody else thinking that was the correct sequence, that's all. :)
  • dkcrooby
    dkcrooby Posts: 6
    Point taken 👍
    Done now, but even with the strap wrench that can was a bastard to remove!