Through axle advice

I'm not familiar with through axles, currently running QR front and rear. Looking for a cheap upgrade if I can.

I think I can possibly convert to 15mm on the front. I believe my Mavic Crossride disc come with hubs that convert to 15mm, that's what I've heard but will check.

I'm running Rockshox 100mm forks, which I understand needs a specific axle (maxle).

I doubt my Forme Stag would be compatible on the rear, but is through axle more important on the front?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020
    If your current forks have quick release drop outs (vertical slots) they are not convertible to thru axles as they require 'holes' in order to fit a thru axle.

The same is true for your frame so you will only able to use quick release on rear.

If you can convert your hub to thru axle then you would need new forks too.

New forks will be supplied with their own thru axle or 'Maxle' if a Rockshox fork.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    If your Mavic Crossride wheels are convertible to 15mm from a skewer there will be an end cap at each end that will just pull off leaving a 15mm hole, for the 15mm axle.
  • I'll get my drill out 😉

No worries thanks for the advice, yes I've read my hubs have a cap although I haven't actually checked yet.

I'm I've only just built the bike using existing parts, and doing xc at the moment, so not in a rush to upgrade then. The geometry is more xc oriented as well.