Keeping your drinks cold

Does anyone have any tips on keeping your drinks cold?

I’ve tried a few cubes of ice etc but within half hour or so in this weather they just go warm.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    You could tow a fridge, would provide resistance training as well :D

In warmer weather drinks will get warm, no getting around that.

You could try freezing the drink before you go. Just make sure you don't fill the bottle to the brim before you freeze it.

Obviously you will have to wait for it to gradually thaw before you can drink it.
  • Ah damn I never thought of taking the fridge 😉 might give that a try next time 😂
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    Camelbak insulated bottles with a few ice cubes 👍
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    As above, one Camelbak Podium Ice 620ml with frozen water/solution to drink later on ride, plus one Camelbak Podium 750ml with super-chilled (but not frozen) fluid to drink from early on ride.

And Refill app on your mobile to locate free water topup places, although finding pubs/shops with accessible water taps during lockdown will be more tricky.
    https://refill.org.uk/get-the-refill-app/
    I know the Bat 'n' Ball pub near Hambledon has an outdoor tap, but I've no idea if the public have access to it right now. In the past, it's been a life saver on scortching days where I've gone through 1.2-1.5l of water so very quickly.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're not meant to be going far from home anyway at the moment so call in each lap to get a cool bottle.
    Once lockdown is relaxed then a team car is what you need.
  • Don’t have to go far in this weather before it goes warm!!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Alice Holt visitors centre and Devils Punchbowl cafe have outside taps for pooches. Can parks are locked, but access by bike us possible. I suspect many National Trust cafes and Forestry Commission sites will have taps.

The building at the top of Butser Hill doesn't have an outside tap.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    As already mentioned, Camelbak podium chill or preferably ice. Small loss in capacity due to the insulation, but does delay the warming process.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I know the weather has been decent recently but warm enough to warm bottles? Not sure about that!
    In my experience it needs to up near 30 deg C to have that effect, it’s not good to drink ice cold water anyway, especially when you’re exercising strenuously which I assume you are?
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,705
    A stainless steel flask will keep cold drink cool and hot drinks warm, it’s not rocket science
  • A stainless steel flask will keep cold drink cool and hot drinks warm, it’s not rocket science

Yeah that would go perfect on the bike. Thanks for your input!!
  • def_defyr
    def_defyr Posts: 93
    s_j_pwmb said:

Camelbak insulated bottles with a few ice cubes 👍

This. Works a charm. Even in the hottest weather your drinks will at least stay cool for a couple of hours.
  • Charlie_Croker

A stainless steel flask will keep cold drink cool and hot drinks warm, it’s not rocket science

no problem, there are many brands available, here’s just one…

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite-Deboyo-Ombra-12-Hours-Thermal-Stainless-Steel-Vacuum-Bottle-Silver-500-ML/254588511716

• manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,219

It is perfect for the bike, look:

However, unless you are on a largish frame it will only fit into the downtube cage.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,446
    Keeping your drinks cool is the job of the cafe you stop at ( not applicable right now), and your fridge at home. Whilst out you just need fluids and cold fluid into a hot body can cause stomach cramps. Just get on and ride.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,446
    Keeping your drinks cool is the job of the cafe you stop at ( not applicable right now), and your fridge at home. Whilst out you just need fluids and cold fluid into a hot body can cause stomach cramps. Just get on and ride.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Luckily the weather is doing its job for you today.

20 degrees yesterday. 10 degrees today.
  • A stainless steel flask will keep cold drink cool and hot drinks warm, it’s not rocket science

Actually, it's perfectly do'able. I've used Contigo flasks in the winter to keep liquids warm, so I'd imagine these will do just as well in the warm. Fit perfectly in the cages too. They're so effective, I've started using them for my beer to keep in cold, and that's without even using the lid! Just make sure you buy a non-anodised version otherwise it'll look haggerd after the first ride.... The word "flask", doesn't have to mean your DoE Thermos behemoth!
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Bunch of lightweights!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nA40QqNn-1U

Go hard, or go home.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Cargobike said:

Bunch of lightweights!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nA40QqNn-1U

Go hard, or go home.

That is truly impressive
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,847
    I'm in the middle east and after my first attempt to keep water cold I gave up.

I froze a 750ml bottle of water and took it along with a chilled 750ml of water out on a ride. Not long - 40km. It was hot - high 30s. There was no where to stop for a refill.

By the time I was on my way back the chilled bottle was empty and the frozen bottle thawed out and the chill taken off.

Drinks are for rehydration and warm water rehydrates just as well as chilled.