Snapped and stuck barrel adjuster

darrell1967
darrell1967 Posts: 470
edited May 2020 in Workshop
As the title says,
I’ve got a 2010 carbon Specialized Tarmac that I’m building into a commuter but I’ve managed to snap both of the barrel adjusters in the down-tube boss. I’ve tried to tap them and drill them out and it ain’t going well. One of the bosses is a bit wobbly/loose.

What are my options here?
Is there a kind of band that I can do a restomod affair? Can the bosses be replaced?

I don’t want to ditch the frame.

TIA.

Comments

• You are not the first. There is a long thread recently on this. A quick search will find it.
  • darrell1967
    Thanks for the reply but I’ve tried 2 or 3 different ways to get the snapped adjusters out and they won’t have it.

I’m wondering where I can go next.

I’ve used the search facility here and the only info I can find is how to remove snapped adjusters. It’s a bit late for that.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Is the adjuster bit riveted to to the frame? If so drilling out the rivets and replacing the adjuster could be a possibility.
  • darrell1967
    lesfirth said:

Is the adjuster bit riveted to to the frame? If so drilling out the rivets and replacing the adjuster could be a possibility.

Yes it is and with what look like small rivets.

Drilling out the rivets and replacing the adjuster would be my choice but I don’t know how carbon frames are put together. Is there a plate on the inside of the tube to which the adjuster is riveted to? I can’t imagine the adjuster being riveted straight to the carbon itself.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If you can drill the rivets, remove the old ones and get some replacements from Ceeway: https://www.framebuilding.com/Aluminum Aluminium Alloy Titanium.htm
  • Mootsboy
    Mootsboy Posts: 10
    I would carefully drill out the rivets and then you will have access to drill & re-tap the adjuster bosses on a workbench. They then can be refitted using a Tri-fold rivet which is specifically designed for plastic and carbon fibre. They cost a few pounds from a popular internet auction site.
    Just done my front mech hanger using this method and it worked a treat.
  • darrell1967
    Mootsboy said:

I would carefully drill out the rivets and then you will have access to drill & re-tap the adjuster bosses on a workbench. They then can be refitted using a Tri-fold rivet which is specifically designed for plastic and carbon fibre. They cost a few pounds from a popular internet auction site.

Thanks. Is the inside of the downtube reinforced in any way?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Mootsboy said:

I do not think it is. There is not much force on the rivets. I dont think riveted brake cable stops are reinforced and they are subject to much greater force.
  • darrell1967
    lesfirth said:

Mootsboy said:

I do not think it is. There is not much force on the rivets. I dont think riveted brake cable stops are reinforced and they are subject to much greater force.
    Thanks Les. I think this is the way to go with this.