Pitted cones/how to identify the correct replacement

Hello,

I've recently decided to try mountain biking and bought a second-hand hardtail (Whyte 905 x8 2014) to practice with.

Looking at it further, both of the front hub cones are pitted and could do with replacement.
I can't find out how to find the correct ones to order though...

I've tried Whyte (who couldn't help) and the only local bike shop still open (who couldn't help till June) with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas...

I've attached a photo and this is the bike specs (gives no clues):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0127/9963/9610/files/Whyte_2014_Specsheets.pdf?9926275374914077092

Thanks a lot for your help,

Seb

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Notoriously hard to find replacement cones for any hubs. Generic ones for sale on EBay may work but a long shot.

Worth a try to rub down and smooth them and fill hubs with grease. May be better temporarily but not a solution. Once they pit small pieces of coating will break off causing pop's and cracking noises and destroy itself.

Have you checked the cups inside the hubs too? If they are pitted hub is basically scrap.
  • sebwin
    sebwin Posts: 2
    Thanks yes the inside cups seem fine (they had quite thick grease in them), it's just the cones that have become pitted.
    Seems odd there isn't a better way as a bit of a waste to get rid of a functional hub just because I cant' find the right cones to buy.
    Thanks for your help though, I wasn't sure if there was some better way of identifying them I didn't know.
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2020
    I agree Pal. Such a waste. I had the same thing happen with a Whyte 605 set of wheels. My cups were fine also but couldn't find suitable cones. So disappointed with the dead end I reached and frustrated there was no way to sort it out.

Really hope you have more luck than I did and I sympathise.

After my experience I won't touch cup and cone bearing hubs ever again and always choose sealed cartridge bearing hubs and that was my only solution in the end. Bought a new set of cheap cartridge bearing wheels for a reasonable £160 and they were actually really good and knowing if there were problems I could just replace the bearings in them. Good luck.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2020
    I don't like cup and cone either, but they are still Shimano's preferred solution. People tell me that as long as you check them regularly and keep the tension correct, then they will last for ever!

I guess I fail on the bits in italics! :'(
  • reaperactual
    Shimano, yes I agree steve_sordy. They make an effort to manufacture their own high quality bearings and cups/cones.

Other cheap brands not so much and are to be avoided at all costs.

In my experience Formula's will last long enough to roll the bike out of the shop after that no parts or customer service exists (in the U.K.)

I've got two Formula hub fitted wheelsets gathering dust, only kept them for spare spokes!

New post coming for my sealed cartridge bearing set!
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Take a look on the halfords website for an axle the same size as the one you have. I just bought one to resolve the same issue on my wife's boardman bike - note the axle isn't a like for like replacement but the cones measure the same so I'm going to try it. I'll return it if it doesn't fit.

Cones are a minefield though and on the last bike I had that needed them it was almost as cheap to get a new hub than replace them, and it was almost as cheap to buy a new wheel as it was to buy a new hub, and pay to have it laced onto the rim. So I bought a new wheel! Terrible waste though.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I don't like cup and cone either, but they are still Shimano's preferred solution. People tell me that as long as you check them regularly and keep the tension correct, then they will last for ever!

I guess I fail on the bits in italics! :'(

hhaha i have a set of Dura Ace hubs, I have def serviced the rear one twice but never the front and theyre still smooth 10 winters and tens of thousands of miles later. on the other hand I have some DT Swiss ones and Ive changed the rear bearings on average every 6 months. Zipp are pretty regular too.

I think the best quality properly sealed hubs are superb with cup and cone, cheap ones as typically supplied on bikes are pants but very cheap. There in lies the problem.