2x10 to 1x10

I need to replace lots of bits... cassette, chain, chainrings, front mech... mostly due to combinations of hard work and neglect, and was considering switching away from 2x10 to 1x10.

A couple of questions:

1. Could I stick with the old rear mech so long as I stick with 10 on the back?
2. Thinking a 1x11 cassette isn't viable without a new wheel. Pretty much right?
3. Simple as replacing current chainset with a new 1x10 chainset? Would I need anything else (other than chain and cassette)?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    1. Possibly. You'll likely want a wider range cassette, and not all mechs can handle that. What do you have now?
    2. Actually, you can go 1x11 on your existing wheel. You can even go 1x12 using Sram NX or SX.
    3. You may just be able to change the chainring for a narrow-wide one, but that depends on the cranks you have. What's fitted now?
  • AdamC123
    AdamC123 Posts: 14
    1. Sram x7
    2. Anything to consider here or any x11 will do?
    3. FSA Comet 3 hole
  • AdamC123
    AdamC123 Posts: 14
    Reading up on narrow-wide chainrings now. Is this a potential alternative to replacing the crankset? i.e. I could drop the 2 old rings and replace with a single narrow-wide ring?

Then something like this potentially could do the job

http://www.windwave.co.uk/products/bike_parts/chainrings_(mtb)/single_rings_(3h)/380-0060027050
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Yes, that could work. I'm not familiar with the FSA 3 bolt system, so I don't know if there were multiple versions or not which might influence compatibility.

The X7 mech officially only supports up to a 36t low gear. Ideally, you'd probably want at least a 42, so it would be worth changing. Any 1x11 speed system would fit with the right cassette, so it depends on the budget.