Cassette Compatibility

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
Hi everyone.
I'm just after a bit of advise before I purchase a new chain/cassette for my 10 speed road bike. It's mainly a Sram Red groupset (now over 10 years old!) but currently running a Shimano cassette/chain, 12-27 with 53-39 chainset.
I can't seem to find an exact match on the cassette for a reasonable price but have seen an ultegra 11-28.
Would I have any problems fitting this? (apart from bigger jumps between a couple of gears). I think the mech is std short cage.
Cheers!

Comments

• grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Thinking about this some more, as it seems 12-27 105 cassettes have been discontinued.... I have seen a Tiagra (HG500) 12-28 which ratio wise would be perfect (I don't think I'd use a 53-11 very often!)

So while it's perhaps a bit of a step down compared to the rest of the groupset, and the existing 105 casette, it will be the best option for the time being (and is a fair bit cheaper too).

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yeah, it's fine... remember the Tiagra cassette doesn't have the 1 mm spacer at the base... it also weighs about twice as much as the 6700 cassette you had in mind initially... but it works just as well
    left the forum March 2023