Rear shifting

Followed every guide to sort the indexing on my bike, had it on a stand it seems to shift up to the big cog but i cant get it right coming back down I have to shift twice to get it to move one gear, so frustrating, i understand why people take them to shops now lol

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    It sounds like friction in the cable. Shifting to larger cogs uses the cable tension, but going back to the smaller cogs requires the spring in the mech to overcome any cable friction. Are the cables old, or have they recently been replaced?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Does your bike have external or internal cabling for the rear mech? If it's internal then there is a possibility that the cable outer might be snagged at a pinch point causing excess friction on the inner cable. That would lead to poor shifting to the higher gears (smaller sprockets).

How old are the cables. It could be a build up of crud in the outer or a frayed inner cable that is causing the problem.

Previously when I has a shifting issue, I changed to the highest gear (smallest sprocket) then disconnected the cable from the rear derailleur. I then folded back the shifter hood to manipulated the inner cable so that it was free from the shifter housing enough to get hold of the seating nipple. I was then able to pull the cable back and forth to feel for resistance and at the same time get lubricant down the outer. Connected everything back up and re-indexed and the issue was solved.
    Not saying that will cure your problem but it would be somewhere to start

• The cables are 2 years old and are running threw the frame, i will have a look see what i can do, i am tempted just to scrap it and go to 1x11 slx