Broken Campag EPS v1 front derailleur - seeking repair advice

Hi All

The plastic part that joins the front and rear of my EPS v1 front derailleur has snapped (the chain hovers just over the top of it as it runs through the front mech). Have a look at the photos below, my description will hopefully make sense.

I really really do not want to purchase a new front mech, it''ll cost me in the region of AU$800 (I'm a Brit living in Perth, Australia). I have a 5 year old Basso Daimante which I still absolutely love but I'm just about ready for a new bike and would rather spend the extra money on that.

I've tried speaking to a couple of my LBS, both of which have not come up with the goods yet. The suggestions have been either 1) replace the derailleur 2) find a suitable donor (non EPS) derailleur from an appropriate era. I have also tried glueing the offending part together using Selleys Araldite Epoxy adhesive and it just separates when I screw it back onto the derailleur; this is the second time that it has "broken" but my bike has been getting a good beasting on my Kickr for the last few weeks. The first time it was repaired I just stock standard super glue.

Do any of you smart people out there have any helpful thoughts on what I could do please? e.g. what would be an appropriate donor front mech or a suitable glue that would hold the part together.

Thanks for your time and interest.

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/about_us.shtml

Give this bloke an email. He's UK based but might give you a fix that works or point you to someone in Aus who can sort it. Hes very helpful and knows all things Campagnolo.
  • shortfall said:

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/about_us.shtml

Give this bloke an email. He's UK based but might give you a fix that works or point you to someone in Aus who can sort it. Hes very helpful and knows all things Campagnolo.

Cheers shortfall, I'll reach out to him. Thanks for your help.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Find someone who can scan and 3D print you up a couple for spares. Or failing that, if you have access to a Dremel tool, get some Delrin and machine one up yourself?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Find someone who can scan and 3D print you up a couple for spares. Or failing that, if you have access to a Dremel tool, get some Delrin and machine one up yourself?

Thanks @Wheelspinner, that is an outstanding idea. I may well know someone that can do that for me.
  • So I managed to find a replacement part from a donor record front derailleur from a similar era. Elite Racing Cycles in Perth were very helpful with this task.

I've also source a printed copy of the part via Facebook which I'm banking just in case,

Thanks for offering the advice guys. Cheers
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Sorry to be a pedant, but there's only ever been one version of the 11--speed Record/SR EPS front and rear mech (and for the Athena/Chorus series too). Only the batteries and head units were upgraded over the series lifetime from v1 up to v3 and the chainset went from the five arm to the four arm. The shifters 'allegedly' went through one modification, but nobody's able to say exactly what was changed. I'm running a v2 left hand shifter, a v1 right hand shifter (I broke the left paddle) with the original mechs I bought in 2013, a v3 battery and head unit and I updated my five arm chainset to a four arm. They all work seamlessly together.

Anyway - glad you got sorted in the end :-)