Basic rear mech thing

This is a simple thing that i am prb getting wrong. I am tuning the rear mech after installing new cable and outers. I have set the low and high limit, and then when i install the cable i am finding i need to add so much tension to get clean shifts that it is creating a false high limit, i.e the cable tension is artificially bending the mech inwards whilst on the smallest sprocket.

Its an old 10spd tiagra fyi. What have i missed.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Cable clamped like it should?
  • dcwhite1984
    dcwhite1984 Posts: 86
    There should be a barrel adjuster on the cable somewhere either near the lever or near the derailleur, use that to fine tune the shifting.

Your issue sounds like you have too much tension on the cable, therefore it is trying to change down once in the highest gear.

Once high and low limit are set correctly, wind the barrel adjuster all the way in then out two turns, then set the tension on the cable, this way you can then use the barrel adjuster to either loosen off the tension a bit or tighten as required to get crisp and perfect tension.

If that doesn't make sense then google park tool gear shifter adjustment for a very easy to follow video :)