Grippy road tyre recommendations

Hi

First post here. Looking for some suggestions for grippy clincher road bike tyres. I currently have vittoria rubino pros on and I find them really slippy, even in the dry. I've had two quite serious crashes as a result where the bike has quite literally come out from under me without warning on unassuming shallow corners. I am convinced these tyres are lethal and I have no confidence in the corners and descents with these on. I would like to swap to something more grippy, not least so I can build my confidence back up.

I am considering the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season but just asking around for opinions.

I live in rural area - not the smoothest roads and quite often grit and gravel about.

Cheers

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    4 Seasons would do the job well.
    What I'd consider more important though is getting as wide a tyre as possible and also making sure the air pressure in them isn't too high.
  • Nothing wrong with the Rubinos, just how fast were you going?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've been very happy with the 4 seasons that i have on my winter bike. I ride allot around the smaller pot hole riddled roads of the new forest and, touch wood, have not had a puncture yet after 2 years of using them.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    A lot of endurance training tyres have hard compounds because they are made for big miles. The flip side of that means that the grip in wet conditions can suffer. GP4S are a notable exception and their wet weather grip is superb. In my experience they are more prone to cuts than some but that doesn't translate to punctures and the wear rate is acceptable because the tread is pretty thick to start with. You do pay for them mind - very rarely discounted much below £30.

Only thing better in terms of grip are full on race tyres like GP5000s, Vittoria Corsas, Schwalbe Pro One Addix, but then you don't get the puncture resistance.

Rubino Pro 3s were never the best for wet weather grip but the G+ are much better. Plus as mentioned wider tyres at lower pressures also helps (even better when installed on a modern wide rim).
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    I've had a couple of pairs of GP4S and really rated them. When they were worn out, I got a good deal on Michelin Pro4 grip, which were great on wet roads. I sold those wheels inc. tyres and bought some Michelin Power AllSeason, which are grippy too. I would go back to GP4S for my winter bike when they wear out though.

My summer bike has GP4000's. Grip, rolling resistance, weight are all good. I don't use these in the wet though, so can't really comment on wet weather grip.

Bike came with Schwalbe Durano's, which I found awful. Meant to last long time and have good puncture resistance, but I found the grip awful.
    Vittoria Rubino's were on my bike for commuting. Perfect for commuting, but did slide a bit in the wet (wasn't an issue for commuting). Conti gatorskins also good for commuting, but wouldn't trust them cornering downhill at speed.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    Among the road tyres I've used including schwalbe, conti, vittoria, irc, giant, etc., Panaracer race series are the most grippy one even combining the performance in the wet.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited May 2020
    I've had a 28mm https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-g-isotech-folding-road-tyre-700c-87381.html (£14 currently) up front with a 28mm GP4000S II on the rear over the winter, they never let me down.

28mm 4 Seasons are great too, had them on the Voodoo's 29er wheels over the winter.

There's a 23mm and 25mm GP5000 sitting in the spares box, ready for when proper summer arrives or the rear GP4000S II shows telltale signs of being overly worn (regular punctures).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Panaracer Race D EVO 3 or 4 or Gravelking with the file tread. As already mentioned don't overinflate them.
  • Michelin Pro Race/ Endurance
  • Been running Wolfpack Race 26mm since beginning of March. A bit more expensive but worth every penny imo.