Endurance bike for the mountains

Hi

I am looking to upgrade my bike, a 2013 defy 1.

I am looking at the Defy Advanced Pro 2 and the Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 Aero as tested in the Bike of the Year 2020. Obviously the Defy won that test but I live in France in the Alps and was thinking is that really the best bike for me when I predominantly do climbing. The Endurace is a little lighter and I've heard is a good climber so perhaps that is a better choice, it also has Di2. I am looking for the Endurance geometry because I do get some back issues from time to time.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• sloppyschleckonds
    sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
    edited May 2020
    Personally i tend not to ride deeper rims in high mountains and lighterweight should trump any aero gains. Would be good if either bike came in a colour other than black

*the endurace comes in red, that'll be faster
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jdn
    jdn Posts: 5
    Totally agree on the colours, its one area where Canyon needs to up its game.

Canyon is lighter, is aero, and has Di2, kinda is pushing me towards it.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're looking at effectively mail order with the Canyon then why not also look at Rose as an option.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite-six-disc-ultegra-di2-2675789?product_shape=UD-Carbon/Piano-Black&article_size=57cm

Their X-Lite Six Disc comes with Ultegra Di2 as one of the options and is only slightly more than the Canyon at £4037. At that price it comes with a 40/50 Carbon disc wheelset but you can spec the 50/50 option for the same money. There are also several other areas where you can tweak the specification to suit your needs - some at no cost while others may add to the basic cost. The quoted weight is 6.9kg so saving you about 500g over the Canyon.

I have a rim braked X-lite Four and can confirm that their claimed weights are accurate
  • jdn
    I rented one if the X-Lites last year while riding in Majorca, you are right you get a lot of bank for your buck. It’s not one I had thought about, they have the reveal too which is supposed to be good.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The Canyon is lighter, has electronic shifting and is available in red. That would swing it for me!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Dolan Etape, or something from Ribble?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Wheelbase still have some of those 2019 Dura Ace Cannondale Synapses in for £2.5k.

With an upgrade to some nice carbon wheels that would make a fantastic bike if you weren't bothered about Di2.
  • jdn
    I must admit I am getting drawn towards the Canyon. I think the weight saving and Di2 are giving it the edge, I thought Di2 was great when I have used it in rental bikes. Those Synapse deals are awesome value too.
  • jdn
    The Canton has been order, cant wait!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    jdn said:

The Canton has been order, cant wait!

Deliveroo or Just Eat? ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    jdn said: