Lace up Shoes

Im looking at replacing some ageing Shimano shoes I have.

I am considering some lace up shoes as I feel like they would give be a better ability to control how tight they are, is this a correct assumption?

Other random factor is I seem to have narrow heels so have found when trying on some brands they are a bit sloppy around the heels, so the gripped texture to the inside of the heel also is feature I have been looking at. Again any experiences of this I would be grateful to hear your views :)

Would be good to hear your experiences of lace up shoes and if you have any recommendations that would be ace! Looking to spend about £100.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I replaced my laces with elastic ones for triathlon and duathlon. I don't believe you need the shoes that tight unless you're sprinting.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've got some Giro Empire SLX and they are fab.
    Admittedly very high end but I paid £120 for them on a very good sale so only just over your budget.

The good points:
    Stupidly light. They feel about half the weight of my Fizik R3s
    If you adjust the laces right slipper comfortable (and stay that way all day)111
    Aero (especially with covers on for TTs)
    Stylish

The bad points:
    Takes much longer getting on and off and fitting right etc - bit of a faff for short rides
    If you don't tuck the laces in well can flap about & potentially get in the chain
    If you don't get the fit right at the start of the ride, you're stopping if you want to correct

So ultimately, if you take your time to get them just right at the start of a ride there are a lot of advantages, but if you just want to hop on and ride, probably look elsewhere.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    DHB Dorika Carbons, comfy and very light, the camo version is less "in your face" than I thought it might be.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jamieluton
    jamieluton Posts: 30

DHB Dorika Carbons, comfy and very light, the camo version is less "in your face" than I thought it might be.

I spotted those too, had any issues when really gunning for it on a steep climb? ( not that im any form of powerhouse)
  • jamieluton
    jamieluton Posts: 30
    @N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Thank you for the feedback good insight, being that I live in city centre, when heading out it tends to be for a couple of hours.

When climbing tough inclines would you notice that they are laces? I think in my head I have this association with standard trainers in my head that of course don't fit as securely.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Just bought some Giro Empire. Now I should add I've not actually ridden in them yet but first impressions are they are very secure -:fit slightly smaller than Shimano all over.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • acswong31
    acswong31 Posts: 1
    I run DHB Dorico plastic soled items, they are great bang for buck, was originally worried about being to tight and needing to adjust on the fly, but I have never once had to adjust, sprinting climbing no problems in or out of saddle. I will definitely purchase a pair with carbon sole soon.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    edited May 2020

I spotted those too, had any issues when really gunning for it on a steep climb? ( not that im any form of powerhouse)
    No, no issues at all (I did a new 1min PB of 7.5W/Kg recently up a local short steep ramp) having bought them ~12 months ago, just bare in mind they size big so go a size lower than normal.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Boas can regulate the 'tightness' of shoes much more effectively (and much more efficiently) than laces, IMO. Laces seem a bit 'retro' and a bit of an anachronism in this day and age.
  • I don't get lace-ups at all. How on earth you dial-in fit I don't know. There's nothing more practical in terms of adjustment than a dual Boa setup...

Yes, I've used lace-ups.... Back in the 80's.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

Boas can regulate the 'tightness' of shoes much more effectively (and much more efficiently) than laces, IMO. Laces seem a bit 'retro' and a bit of an anachronism in this day and age.

Maybe as effectively as laces but certainly not much more effectively.

Yes laces are retro but if you like retro that's good.

The only real downside of laces is adjustment on the fly.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    I had the Empires for about two summers and they were good shoes but not anything special. I too thought that laces represented the most flexible closing system and actually they are. My hiking, running and cricket boots attest to that. However, they are only partially better than boa's. Also, there is one big drawback. You can't adjust them on the fly which in the end became an annoyance, especially in hot weather or hard races.

I would say that the inner support within the Giro is excellent, especially the high support, they come with three. The heel support is OKish and the level of comfort good.

In the end, I trashed them in an off. I have since replaced them with Sidi's which have two Boa's and a heel brace system. Once I had replaced their inner with the Giro inner I had, I think the best of all worlds. I loved the look of the laces, but I wouldn't go back. Lastly, I think it's a good footbed that makes a shoe fit the best ..... I'll invest in some after the lockdown.
  • Boas can regulate the 'tightness' of shoes much more effectively (and much more efficiently) than laces, IMO. Laces seem a bit 'retro' and a bit of an anachronism in this day and age.

Maybe as effectively as laces but certainly not much more effectively.

Yes laces are retro but if you like retro that's good.

The only real downside of laces is adjustment on the fly.
    This is what I don't get. Every cycling shoe I've eve used "gives", a little after the first few miles on the bike. Whether it's natural leather, Kangaroo hide, or synthetic (Dyneema even). Boa allows me to quickly and safely take up any initial slack. I can't imagine that with lace-ups. You'd either have to do them up overly tight to begin with, make-do with a looser fit after a while, or stop to adjust.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    edited May 2020

I agree with this. They're purely for fashion. You can't adjust the tightness on the move like you can with every other closure system either.

You won't notice a big difference either way for general leisure riding though.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited May 2020
    Startfitness have these Scott shoes for £80 (Down from £200), and if Extra10 still works that takes them down to £72 + P&P.

Sizes 40-43 iirc, oh and they come with the laces pictured and a black set if you want a more subtle look.

https://startfitness.co.uk/scott-road-lc-lace-cycling-shoes-black-251814-5533.html

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    OP, i would ignore the laces consideration. The thing with shoes is to keep trying different makes and models until you find that cinderella shoe that fits you bang on. Once you find that you will likely not care whether it has laces, velcro or boa. It can be a long journey to finding just the right shoes but they might well be out there.