Tips for a 10-day tour with a carbon roadie ?

Hello,

I plan to go on a 10 days tour with a carbon roadbike (Spe - Ruby sport - 2015). We intend to camp a bit, meaning I will have to carry a sleeping bag, food, minimal clothing and tools (I won't be carrying the tent). I can't really afford to buy a bike for this tour alone.

I am thinking on fitting rear rack and use two paniers (10/15L). I found some racks that can be fitted to frames without eyelets (Axiom Streamliner Road DLX rack & Bontrager BackRack Lightweight MIK). I read mixed reviews on this setup:

- Some claim this will damage the carbon frame, which is designed to endure strain in specific directions. The carbon may then shatter after a small shock or a fall.

- Some claim carbon frames are sturdy enough and that if I still travel light (which I will) this should be fine. Moreover these racks are mounted through the rear wheel axle meaning the strain is somewhat similar to someone sitting (with a few extra kilos).

None of the persons I could talk to had any actual experience with such a setup. Anyone ever tried this ?

Cheers!
AG

Comments

• aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    I wouldn’t, the bikes not designed for it. Suggest you look at bikepacking bags. You can get a big saddle pack a frame bag, a top tube bag and a handlebar bag. No need for panniers. You can get cheaper ones if you want to keep costs down.
  • a.garcon.a
    a.garcon.a Posts: 3

I wouldn’t, the bikes not designed for it. Suggest you look at bikepacking bags. You can get a big saddle pack a frame bag, a top tube bag and a handlebar bag. No need for panniers. You can get cheaper ones if you want to keep costs down.

Thanks for your answer. Have you ever tried this fitting a rack ?

I feel like the ~20L I would get out of multiple bags (saddle, handle bar and tube) would not be enough so I would have to cycle with a backpack.

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I know plenty of people who've done tours for longer than 10 days using just bike packing bags.
    You just have to be smart with your packing, you can buy sleeping bags nowadays which pack down very small for example.
    Likewise hand wash your clothes regularly instead of bringing several sets.

Far better to do something like this than wearing a backpack all day or fitting a rack on a bike not designed to take one.
  • a.garcon.a
    a.garcon.a Posts: 3

I know plenty of people who've done tours for longer than 10 days using just bike packing bags.
    You just have to be smart with your packing, you can buy sleeping bags nowadays which pack down very small for example.
    Likewise hand wash your clothes regularly instead of bringing several sets.

Far better to do something like this than wearing a backpack all day or fitting a rack on a bike not designed to take one.

I'll probably do that in the end since I can't afford to buy a bike for a single tour... I might be able to fit my clothing+sleeping bag in a saddle bag, and use a handlebar bag for the grosseries.