QQ : Rim tape fun

Hi all just a quickie.

Got a pair of reynolds strike wheels and looking to replace the blue thin tubeless tape that came with them, I went to lbs and they only had some horrid white thick tape.

Any recommendations?

Secondly for TT bike looking to replace the mavic cosmic UST rim tape also and combine a latex inner tube (first time try). Any recommendations for rim tape replacements that work well with latex inner?

Thanks in advance for any info on such a exciting subject

Comments

• manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    Assuming that they are 17mm internal width you need Stans Notubes Rim Tape in the 21mm size. This allows you to fill the wheel well as well as covering the whole width from rim to rim.
    I appreciate that you intend to run with latex tubes but using the tubeless rim tape ensures that your rim wells are securely covered. A single wrap will suffice for running with tubes and a double wrap will restore the tubeless compatibility of the wheels.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I prefer the Schwalbe tubeless tape to the Stan's type. It feels slightly more flexible, so it's a bit easier to get it to conform to the rim profile. It is more expensive though, so I normally end up actually using Stan's...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've used a couple of runs of insulation tape when in a pinch. Worked so well it's still in there. Zero problems.
  • Thanks for replies to confirm then,

For the strike wheelset it says online that "25mm total width just before the rim bed. This results in a 17mm width"

So does that mean I need 25mm tape or just bit wider than 17??
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    I’ve Reynolds Assault wheels. The measurements are the same, 21mm tape also fits. I’m currently using muc-off tape