What's the best indoor trainer tyre these days?

I'm using a non-direct drive Tacx Genius Smart. My Continental trainer tyre is giving up the ghost after a good innings. I've used the blue Tacx one in th past with mixed results (it had a tendency to "shed"..). Tempted to go for Continental again but I see there are a lot more choices these days. Looking for something that won't slip under high torque / strong resistance (i.e. climbing) and which won't fall apart too quickly..

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not got any old tyres lying around ?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    fenix said:

Not got any old tyres lying around ?

IME road tyres wear out very quickly indeed on the trainer if you do a lot of simulated climbing with high resistance.. If I went down that avenue I'd run out of them fairly quickly I think..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I guess it depends on the turbo. My cateye was no worse on tyres than being on the road.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I have a Tacx Flow and use some old "original" fit Vittoria Rubino tyres, not had any rapid wear issues and I'm very unlikely to ever fit them on my bikes so I just use them up.
  • I use a red training tire i got from Decathlon for a fiver its fairing good at the moment.
  • hhelbein
    hhelbein Posts: 5
    I use a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer tire with a Kickr Snap. Wattage is so much more consistent than with the road tire I was using. Pump up the tire to 100-105 PSI, based on the recomendation on the tire. It may be slightly quieter as well. It was a pain to get on the rim though.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    hhelbein said:

I use a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer tire with a Kickr Snap. Wattage is so much more consistent than with the road tire I was using. Pump up the tire to 100-105 PSI, based on the recomendation on the tire. It may be slightly quieter as well. It was a pain to get on the rim though.

Ah, that's good, I just ordered one earlier today.. :smiley:

The choice was partially determined by what was available, e.g. Wiggle are out of stock of all trainer tyres, and most other places only have MTB ones! Otherwise I'd probably have got the Continental one again. Managed to order it from cycle republic.