Which Bottom bracket do I need?

Good morning,
I'm hoping that one of you can help me out please. I have recently purchased a new mtb frame. It has a pf30 bb fit.
I also purchased a shinano xt 1x11 groupset . What bottom bracket do I need that is compatible to my frame and groupset.
Thanks,
Baz.

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    It will depend on what width your BB is. There are no standards in the Standards. I'd go for a Wheels Manufacturing BB that screws together. Unless you have the tools to do this I'd seriously suggest talking to your LBS before you buy. They might be happy for you to supply and them to fit and adjust as neccessary. Some cranks might require spacers/wavey washers that you might not readily have at home.

https://wheelsmfg.eu/bottom-brackets-1.html?crank_spindle_dia=7121

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'm with photonic69 here, measure the width of your bb area and maybe also get your LBS to assist.
    At the very least you'll need some kind of adaptor as PF30 is made for 30mm axles and Shimano cranks have 24mm axles.

I'll let someone else have a moan about the lack of any kind of universal standards when it comes to bottom brackets!

• Thank you very much for your advice.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    The good thing about the Wheels Manufacturing BB's is that you won't need a further adaptor to get the 24mm axle to fit in the PF30 bearing as it will be the right bearing for the Shimano crank.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Phot

The good thing about the Wheels Manufacturing BB's is that you won't need a further adaptor to get the 24mm axle to fit in the PF30 bearing as it will be the right bearing for the Shimano crank.

Brilliant. Thanks again for your help. I'm new to all this. I struggled to find the bike I wanted in stock so i have started to build one. Much more fun ( and stressful Haha).
    I'll certainly take your advice. Much appreciated.