How far removed from a XC bike is my...

.... Trek Roscoe?

If I wanted to go do some XC racing, would my Trek Roscoe be completely unsuitable?

I know proper XC bikes are 29" wheels, whilst my bike is 27.5 'plus size'.

Can I do it on the Roscoe, or would I be silly to try?

TIA.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    XC trails yes, no problem.
    XC racing certainly not, you will be hopelessly slow.

Not silly to try though, not silly at all. Give it a go, you will learn a lot. But you will be slow!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It's not about the bike. Give it a go (when you can).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can put 29er wheels and Xc tyres into a 27.5+

Nothing else is that far removed from an XC bike apart from the 120mm travel fork.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    For beginner level XC races, the bike won't hold you back. In those fields you'll have everything from full on XC race bikes to 150mm trail bikes. If you do get into it, there's changes that can be done to make the bike more race ready.
  • Thanks for the responses- all opinions welcome.

What travel front suspension does a proper XC bike have? And am I right to assume it'd be very stiff?

It would be handy to have a website that explains the differences between different styles of bikes, taking in geometry differences, suspension, etc etc: road- aero, climbing, endurance, CX, track etc & MTB- downhill, enduro, trail, XC and so forth... Does a website as such exist??

Lastly, if there was a 'starter' XC hardtail I could look at buying, what would it be? I prefer hardtail. Id like to stay with TREK if poss..
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why would it be silly to try a race on the Roscoe? Everyone has to start somewhere.

As mentioned above you could either fit 29" wheels & tyres (make sure you get Boost 141 rear hub) or put the narrowest tyres that will fit on your current 27.5" rims.

Depending on your budget the X-Caliber and Procaliber are Trek's lower tier 'serious' XC bikes. Have a look HERE.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Planet X have had a fair go at explaining the different riding disciplines. They don't mention DH though, so I'm guessing they don't sell DH bikes?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/help/guides/mountain-biking-guides/mountain-bike-disciplines-explained