Tubular glue

joe2019
joe2019 Posts: 1,338
Is there a problem with mixing glues? I want to use Mastik on a carbon rim and tyre, which has Continental glue on it.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I don't think so... these glues all pretty much use the same ingredients
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe2019
    Thanks, that's what I would have hoped.

I read somewhere that there could be a reaction due to different compounds, but this may not have been with modern glues.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    joe2019 said:

I read somewhere that there could be a reaction due to different compounds, but this may not have been with modern glues.

With my chemistry lecturer' hat on... most people overestimate the extent to which molecules react between them. The old glue had already done its chemistry, so it's likely to be a pretty much inert substrate.
    Moreover, the chemistry of this type of adhesives is pretty much standard... formulations may vary from one manufacturer to another, but the active ingredients are likely to be the same or very similar in nature.

I would be very surprised if there was any adverse effect
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

With my chemistry lecturer' hat on... most people overestimate the extent to which molecules react between them. The old glue had already done its chemistry, so it's likely to be a pretty much inert substrate.
    Moreover, the chemistry of this type of adhesives is pretty much standard... formulations may vary from one manufacturer to another, but the active ingredients are likely to be the same or very similar in nature.

I would be very surprised if there was any adverse effect
    Glad I asked thanks.
  • joe2019
    Yep, glued them on top of the Continental glue, ridden them for a month, solid as a rock. Thanks Ugo.
  • The adhesive on this case does not chemically react with you or the tub tape. Its insert but sticky creating a mechanical bond.

Cotton is not very chemically reactive after all.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I like Gorilla glue because the superglue is gel-based, which flows a lot more slowly than the regular liquid-based super glue. This glue is very easy to apply on whatever surface you’re gluing together without running or dripping. The formula is also infused with rubber to make the gel thicker and improve its already excellent bonding strength.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I like Gorilla glue because the superglue is gel-based, which flows a lot more slowly than the regular liquid-based super glue. This glue is very easy to apply on whatever surface you’re gluing together without running or dripping. The formula is also infused with rubber to make the gel thicker and improve its already excellent bonding strength.

Good luck with getting a tub off after you’ve used that. :'(
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Sorry - he wants to superglue tubs?

Well, on one hand they ain't coming off.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.