When are wheels worn and need replacing?

Hi,

due to Corona, I've bitten the bullet and gotten used specialized allez road bike. It needs a little TLC, which means I'm learning a lot about components.

Since I'm new to road biking, wanting to know how to know when wheels are worn and should be changed.

Below is what I have on my second hand bike, Continental Gatorskins 700x25

What do you think?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Do you mean wheels or tyres?

The tyres look ok to be going on with. You can feel them to see if they're very squared off (newer ones will be more rounded). They should also have a couple of little round wear indicators - small depressions that show how much the tyre is worn. When a tyre is truly on the way out you start to see it wearing through to the casing underneath.

Regarding the rims, it's impossible to see from those photos. Hold a flat edge like a metal ruler against them and see if the braking surface is concave. If it's not then they should be fine.
  • ticklytigger
    ticklytigger Posts: 23
    edited April 2020
    mrb123 said:

Do you mean wheels or tyres?

The tyres look ok to be going on with. You can feel them to see if they're very squared off (newer ones will be more rounded). They should also have a couple of little round wear indicators - small depressions that show how much the tyre is worn. When a tyre is truly on the way out you start to see it wearing through to the casing underneath.

Regarding the rims, it's impossible to see from those photos. Hold a flat edge like a metal ruler against them and see if the braking surface is concave. If it's not then they should be fine.

Thanks!

I meant the tyres ... I've checked the rims as you suggested, and they are ok ...
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    Because of the shape (cross-section showing flange) of a cycle wheel rim it can be difficult to measure. Some rims have wear indicators but by no means all.

Something like a dental caliper is useful for measuring the amount of material that is really left

Bearings of course also wear out but can often be replaced
    Spokes too can be replaced as they break or become damaged
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    when the rims become concave replace
    when the threads show though on a tire replace
    when you get several punctures in regular succession on a used tire in different places replace or stop riding over the same patch of glass / thorns