Cleaning rims for tubeless tape

Hi,

I’d seen a tip where you could use an alcohol based hand wipes to clean your disc rotors. Assuming they therefore leave no residue, would they be appropriate for cleaning your rims before you tape them for a tubeless set up?

Cheers

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698

Hi,

I’d seen a tip where you could use an alcohol based hand wipes to clean your disc rotors. Assuming they therefore leave no residue, would they be appropriate for cleaning your rims before you tape them for a tubeless set up?

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Meths would work if you don't have any hand wipes.
    I use iso-propyl-alcohol (70% alcohol). I bought 600ml from the chemist a few years ago for £5-6 and it lasts for ages (well, it does as long as you don't splash it about. I apply it to some paper towels and wipe it on/off). My most profligate use of IPA is when I do the disco inferno on contaminated brake pads. I use a whole capful! :'(

PS: IPA is the only substance I know of that removs tree sap from your car paintwork without damaging the finish. Even hard-dried, sun-baked, six-month old old tree sap. It took me ages to find that!
  • Thanks, will use some wipes as the price of isopropyl at the moment is crazy😧
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

Thanks, will use some wipes as the price of isopropyl at the moment is crazy😧

Oh yes, I was forgetting that because it is 70% alcohol, folk will be buying it for sanitising. I wouldn't like to use it on my hands on a regular basis unless I used some sort of moisturiser immediately afterwards. IPA will strip the oils from your skin!