Spec check: Just wanted another pair of eyes before hitting the button

Hey folks,

Used to be really active on the forum when I was younger and had no kids. Now time, money and internet usage all curtailed, but thankfully my lads are very much into road riding and are rapidly surpassing my diminishing abilities.

I'm 40+ and not particularly flexible.

I've got a Spa Audax which I love. This intended purchase, however, is to upgrade my Bianchi via Nirone Al which has done over 10 years excellent service.

The Spa Audax is 58 and the Nirone is 59. Put all my specs into competitive cyclist for as relaxed fit as possible (French fit) and contacted Rose. I'm looking at getting an X-LITE FOUR DISC from rose: https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-x-lite-four-disc-force-etap-axs-2680391. They suggested a 59.

Anyone have any strong views this bike - anyone my height 183 and 40+ tried one - any help or discussion points would be really appreciated. I'm open.

One thing, I'd really like to try an electronic groupset as I hate the constant cable fettling (which I had on the front shifter for my 105) and this makes the Rose (and Canyon) price competitive, whereas other LBS electronic options are out my league (and even this is a big stretch).

And before anyone says it I know that the bike doesn't make all the difference to pace, but at least it will remove an excuse :)

Cheers

Jeepie

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I don't know anything about the actual bike model but can say if you have the money and want Di2 then get it, it'll cost more to do as an upgrade at a later stage so get what ever you can afford now. Once its set up its pretty much ride and forget about it.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I bought the rim braked X-Lite 4 about 18 months ago and can't fault it.

I am slightly shorter than you at abt 180cm with around an 82cm inseam and I went for the 57 frame which has worked out perfectly for me. In terms of age, I can give you over 30 years, so my flexibility is probably somewhat challenged. However I have had no issues with comfort and would thoroughly recommend the brand/model.

Looking at the geometry of your Via Nirone, I think the 59 in the Rose would be the closest match

I'm not that fussed about discs - hence my choice of the rim braked version. However I would dearly have loved the budget to have gone for the ETAP AXS model.

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Thank you so much @arlowood - that's wonderful feedback. Sounds like I've got a good plan there. I really appreciate you taking the time to post. Thanks also @mugensi . I'll post a picture when I get it.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I’m 191cm and have the X-Lite 6 rim version in size 59. I’ve got a relatively aggressive set up though, so suggestion sounds right for you.
    Very happy with it, other than the cabling at the front end, but you won’t have that issue with etap.