Should I Buy a New Bike or use Old Bike

Hi everyone, new member here

Many years ago in my youth i bought a Diamond Back Vectra 6061 26" hardtail bike ( im thinking maybe 2007 ish ) . It has Hydraulic Brakes , gears wise they are shimano alivio 9 speed on back and 3 on the pedals ( sorry im not familiar with the terminology )

I am looking to get back into mountain biking which would be mainly trails ( such as the ones over Cannock chase if anyone is familiar) and probably some occasional road riding

I was wondering what would be better ? Stick with my now 13year old bike or buy a new one to get full enjoyment? i would be looking less than £800 or in that ball park

Im not really sure on how much bikes have progressed in this time and how much benefit i will gain from a new bike.

i look forward to hearing your guys thoughts

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I would make sure that the bike you have, as it is currently, is in good shape. By that I mean the brakes work, the shifting works, the fork works as it should and is set up for your extra weight (come on be honest, it's been 13 years!) and that the tubes are OK and the tyres too. Then lube it up and give it a go!

See how you get on and decide what you like and don't like about the bike and your riding experience. Buy a few copies of Mountain Bike Rider, or Mountain Biking UK and read up on what is now current to see whether it floats your boat. There have been a massive amount of changes for the better in MTB in 13 years so you have a lot to catch up on.

But don't forget how much fun you had on the bike when it was new! :)
  • amoran
    amoran Posts: 13
    Thanks , I think that was my plan tbh

Just checked the bike over and it needed some TLC , the chain was full of grit and dirt and a few loose cables.

All fixed now and waiting to take the bike out , let's hope I can stick with it long enough this time to get hooked
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I still run my 2007 Kona Hoss hardtail and regularly look it over to check it's working all ok - if you like the frame, replace the fluid in the brakes and clean the drivetrain and check the cables, and enjoy the ride.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...