Endurace / Roadmachine speed etc

So, time for a new bike for me. I don't do this very often – I'm currently riding a 13-year old alu Lapierre Tech 5, which has been pretty good; nice and fast, nippy handling etc. But I just passed 50, the old back complains a bit more and a bit earlier each ride, so I'm looking for something that retains some speed (I only race against myself) but adds a little comfort.

The Lapierre is on a 25 in the front, and a 23 in the back, and the ride is about as you would expect. I've been looking at an Endurace CF SL 8.0 Di2 Aero (the one in the recent 2020 BOTY lineup) and a BMC Roadmachine 02 One 2020. I test rode the BMC yesterday and it was "OK". It felt a little slow to lift off, and maybe a touch sluggish in general, though of course it's not been dialled in over the years compared to my Lapierre. I was also surprised that it didn't feel as smooth as I expected. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I liked it, it just felt different than I thought it might. On the other hand, tracking at speed was lovely, very solid, and I thought the handling was pretty good for what it is.

Now, Canyon. I know, Canyons are ubiquitous, and maybe a it 'boring' (in that they look a it outdated generally), but that Aero Endurace is nice (I think), and the spec (Reynolds wheels, carbon bars, light weight) is great for the money. But I've yet to ride one, and the one I would get isn't available until July.

So, my question is from people that have these bikes is (beyond "I love mine") how to you feel they ride? Is the Endurace actually fast, or just fast for an Endurance bike? Is the BMC also nicely nippy? Am I going to just be slower on any endurance bike and should I just shut up and learn to live with that, or is it possible to still ride like the clappers with a little more comfort?

Bonus info: I'm based in Finland, so not all the exotic bike brands are available here. Also, I'm not that into getting a Trek, Specialized, Giant, or Cannondale. They just don't speak to me that much.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Had a quick look at those 2, and there seems to be a big price difference between them, so not sure exactly what your budget is. Going from a 13-year old alu Lapierre Tech 5 to a modern, carbon aero bike will be a big difference.

I'm a similar age to you. I'd suggest you ask yourself whether you're looking for a better machine - modern build, better materials etc - or whether you're looking for a bike that you like and want to ride?

Modern, carbon bikes are undeniably better, but do you care whether you get home from a 50km ride 3 minutes earlier, or do you want to have enjoyed the ride?

Have you considered a modern bike that's not carbon? Maybe titanium or even a modern steel bike?
  • singleton said:

Had a quick look at those 2, and there seems to be a big price difference between them, so not sure exactly what your budget is. Going from a 13-year old alu Lapierre Tech 5 to a modern, carbon aero bike will be a big difference.

Well my budget keeps getting redefined, but I found the BMC for a similar price to the Endurace, which makes it very tempting.

And yes, it is a big step up - that's intentional. There weren't many carbon bikes 13 years ago, and I want something more modern.
    singleton said:

I'm a similar age to you. I'd suggest you ask yourself whether you're looking for a better machine - modern build, better materials etc - or whether you're looking for a bike that you like and want to ride?

Modern, carbon bikes are undeniably better, but do you care whether you get home from a 50km ride 3 minutes earlier, or do you want to have enjoyed the ride?

To be honest, I'm looking for both: a more modern build that will last me the next 5+ years, and a bike I love to ride. Isn't that what we all want?

If I got home 3 minutes earlier from my regular 70km ride, I'd be delighted, and I would have enjoyed the ride immensely, I suspect. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. I'm always happy to get another new PR. However, I would like to ride further (100-120km) without feeling like I'm being repeatedly punched in the lower back (but still do so at reasonable speed).
    singleton said:

Have you considered a modern bike that's not carbon? Maybe titanium or even a modern steel bike?

My gravel bike is steel. It's great for that kind of riding. But I'm looking for a fast, lightish replacement for the Lapierre. Titanium doesn't really do much for me. I'm sure it's lovely, bling and all, but I'm not seeking that kind of bike.

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're happy to consider Canyon then why not also look at another German "mail order" brand - Rose

The Rose X-Lite 4 Ultegra Di2 comes in close to the Canyon on pricing but with the Rose you can customize the spec to suit your specific needs. eg things like chainset, wheels, bars, cassette etc can all be chosen to meet your particular requirements. Some changes will clearly affect the price but a lot are FOC options.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite-four-disc-ultegra-di2-2661675?product_shape=Grey/Lightning-Yellow&article_size=57cm#configurator

I ride the non-disc version with 105 R7000. Great bike IMHO. you wold not be disappointed.