Carrera Subway 2 - toe overlap

Glad this is the place for stupid questions! I just bought a carrera subway 2 for commuting and going out for some cycles with the kids.

I'm really pleased with it apart from every time I try to do a turn i clip my foot. Looking online this seems to be a thing called toe overlap but seems to be quite extreme. Looking at the pics on halfords i think the front bit might be on backwards as the brakes look the wrong way round. Any advice before I phone them up?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited April 2020
    Front wheel and forks are back to front. Brake caliper and disc should be on left hand side of bike looking forwards. Turn the wheel and forks the correct way, making sure cables run properly, and adjust the handlebar stem so your bars are in the correct position facing forwards. Did you assemble it yourself from a box?
  • No - halfords did it... Easy to fix myself or take back to the store job?
  • mercia_man
    Incompetence by Halfords. Easy to fix yourself. Turn wheel so that brake and disc are on left side of bike. Slacken the stem with Allen key (two bolts where it clamps to fork steerer) and swivel round so that stem and bars are facing forwards. Clamp it all up again securely. Just make sure you don’t tangle up brake and gear cables. Looking at position of brake cable on pic, it would seem you need to turn your wheel right to left in a full revolution to get the right position.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I just can not believe that even Halfords on a bad day could give a bike to a customer like this. Is someone taking the p1ss here?
  • Nope - genuinely mate. I have no ideas about bikes, last one I owned was 18 years ago. We have bought kids bikes and ours from halfords.
  • mercia_man
    lesfirth said:

I just can not believe that even Halfords on a bad day could give a bike to a customer like this. Is someone taking the p1ss here?

That was my first thought, Les. It’s the sort of thing a novice would do on receiving a bike mail order (when the stem is loosened off and forks turned back for fitting in a box).
  • Incompetence by Halfords. Easy to fix yourself. Turn wheel so that brake and disc are on left side of bike. Slacken the stem with Allen key (two bolts where it clamps to fork steerer) and swivel round so that stem and bars are facing forwards. Clamp it all up again securely. Just make sure you don’t tangle up brake and gear cables. Looking at position of brake cable on pic, it would seem you need to turn your wheel right to left in a full revolution to get the right position.

I am starting to think it may have been me. When I brought it home I had to fit into the boot of the car - as such I think the handlebars twisted round! In my haste to fix I have done it the wrong way! Sorted now thanks to above! Cheers.
  • mercia_man
    Glad to hear you’ve sorted it!