Clinchers for hill climb

Need to be very light (ideally 200 g or thereabout) and very grippy, ideally 25 mm. If it's easy to install even better as it would be a race only tyre, so it needs to go on and off frequently.

I looked at Conti Supersonics, but they only come in 23 mm, so need a lot of pressure, which is not good for grip.
Vittoria Corsa are always a good bet, although they are not particularly light
Challenge Strada, although I hear they are always hard to fit

Anything else?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    ... also conti force/attack 400g for the pair?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    These look to be the lightest you'll get for a tubed clincher according to Bicycle Rolling Resistance
    https://www.merlincycles.com/pirelli-p-zero-velo-tt-folding-road-tyre-107536.html
    165g for 23s, so 180ish for a 25 I'd think. £34 is not silly money either.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Good find!!
  • GP5000 700x23 apparently measured 24.4mm on 17mm internal rim width in their test and was 196g.
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison

Are Conti Supersonic tubes still 50g?

I've got a 23mm and a 25mm GP5000 to try out this year, to compare aero drag reduction benefits over the comfort of 28mm (~32mm really) GP4000S IIs.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    Aero is very much not an issue... :D which is good, because aero is expensive!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think they may be a tad over 200g but have you considered the s-works turbo cotton tyre?

It's pretty much a vittoria corsa but faster.

Only issue is you don't get many miles out of them.

• ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2020
    redvision said:

I think they may be a tad over 200g but have you considered the s-works turbo cotton tyre?

It's pretty much a vittoria corsa but faster.

Only issue is you don't get many miles out of them.

Yeah, a bit pricey... I don't need them to be fast, supple or comfy... rolling resistance is not that important when going at 12 km/h... grip at the rear is everything, especially if the road is damp and of course the lighter , the better.
    I've ordered a pair of Pirelli Zero TT... I'll see how they go... I don't expect big mileage, they won't do miles anyway, they don't even a puncture protection layer
  • Aero is very much not an issue... :D which is good, because aero is expensive!

Gradients above 8% then? That's supposedly around the swapover point. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia

Aero is very much not an issue... :D which is good, because aero is expensive!

Gradients above 8% then? That's supposedly around the swapover point. ;)
    Yes, most hill climbs are on 10% or steeper climbs... there are exceptions, but none round here.

Also, don't believe the aero hype, the swapover point is a lot shallower than 8%, more like 4 or 5%, unless of course you climb a 5% at 20 mph :#