Newbie and just inherited a bike.

Hey guys! I’m new here, so forgive me if I’m putting this in the wrong spot. I don’t know really where to post this.

So I just received a 2018 kona 2018 rove. I want to bike around the neighborhood, some trials, and do the GAP trail from Pittsburgh to DC next year. Should I keep everything as is, or should I make upgrades? I want to know I’m safe when I do the GAP trail.

Current specs.
Shimano HG50 11-32t 8spd
Shimano Claris front and rear derrailur
FSA Tempo Adventure crankset

I also have a 2017 kona dr dew 52cm, but this bike is too small for me. I’m 5’9, with a 32in inseam. I’d love to keep it though. I got this from a close friend for practically nothing. I’m trying to sell it.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    For now keep it as is. Ride it. After you put a good few miles on it then you can decide if there is anything you might wish to adjust.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    As above ride the bike, make adjustments for comfort - there's plenty of online advice for that. Learn how to keep chain, gears and brakes in working order, again lots of online advice available.

Enjoy the bike. You may well find yourself wanting a "better bike" in future, but I think the bike you have will help you learn if you have the cycling bug or not.
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    edited April 2020
    There's an old adage, it goes something like, "happiness is wanting the things you already have"