Tyre advice

With the nice weather here, I'm looking to ditch my Gatorskins for something nicer for the summer. Been out the game for a while and looking for recommendations. Clincher please, as not sure my wheels are tubeless ready.

Looking for something with decent puncture protection and grippy in corners, really don't feel confident in the Gatorskins on corners at speed.

Thanks

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Continental GP 4000 or 5000. Had both and the 5000 tubeless (they can be used with tubes or a specific tubed version) in 28 on my summer bike roll very well and very comfortable without increasing rolling resistance.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Thanks for the advice, David, I had 4000's a while back, but in smaller sizes, will have another look. My frame won't take 28's due to chain stay brake but 25mm more than fine for me.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    The 4000s come up big so even a 25mm one may be tight for you if you don't have much clearance.

The 5000s size up slightly smaller I believe.
  • I have bought the Wolfpack. Approx 800 miles on them and not a cut or nick. Comfortable as well. So far well pleased.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I switched to GP 5000's from the 4000's earlier this year in 25's, been good so far.... fast and grippy!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Pirelli P ZERO.

I rode these daily throughout the winter without a single puncture. They tend not to cut up. Highly recommended.
  • Michelin Pro4 Endurance, or Michelin Power Endurance.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Michelin Pro4 Endurance,

Nice tyres but since being discontinued a few years ago they aren't very available.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I use pro4 endurance as my winter tyres and they're great.
    For summer Vittoria Corsa are robust enough I find and feel lovely to ride.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    singleton said:

I use pro4 endurance as my winter tyres and they're great.
    For summer Vittoria Corsa are robust enough I find and feel lovely to ride.

Any particular model, a friend recommended the brand but he has old stock of discontinued ones.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    wongataa said:

Michelin Pro4 Endurance,

Nice tyres but since being discontinued a few years ago they aren't very available.

Decathlon still have plenty in stock and at a decent price.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited April 2020
    I've found Vittoria Rubino tyres to be consistently good performers over the years. Decent price, grip and puncture protection. They just seem to outlast everything else I've tried from Continental (except Gatorskins), Michelin and Schwalbe - all of which have been a major disappointment and very poor longevity in my experience.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Merlin seem to be the go to place for decent deals on tyres at the moment...

I'm running Schwalbe Pro One Addix at the moment which I picked up for £22.50 each (now £25). Seem just as good as the Michelin Power Comps they replaced (which they also have for £27).

They've also got 28mm Rubino Pro Controls for £12 each, Tubeless Schwalbe Ones (not pro) for £20, Veloflex Corsas for £20.

If you want GP5000s they are as good as it gets but you pay for it (£35+); the Pro Ones, Corsas, Power comps are up there and £10-15 less per tyre.