Groupset upgrade advice needed

gattaca
gattaca Posts: 2
edited April 2020 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I was hoping that someone much more knowledgeable than myself could assist me with a gearing question. I just replaced a 25 year old Gary Fisher Mtbk that I had only been using for hybrid riding (paved trails with light dirt/gravel offshoots) the last 10 years. I don't intend to change from this type of riding but I was due for a new ride, so I recently purchased a Cannondale Quick 4 (2019 model). Apart from the overall feel from a test ride, the only 3 criteria I had while in the market were: 1. Disc brakes, 2. Carbon Fork, 3. Dual chainring and minimum 9-speed (ex. Shimano Sora). While this bike checks 1 and 2, it comes with a triple instead of dual chainring setup. The old Gary obviously had a triple as a Mtbk, but for the type of riding I do I never needed to leave the middle chainring; the gears in the back were sufficient. I don't mind having a dual crank (just in case) but the added weight and gearing overlap with a triple crank is just not necessary. I got such a good deal on this 2019 model that I would like to immediately put the money into changing it to a dual chainring setup. My question pertains to my options for doing this. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can I use some of the parts from the groupset that came with the bike (details below) while changing from a triple to dual setup? If yes, what would need to be changed? Would I be better off just purchasing a complete, proper dual 9-speed groupset, like Shimano Sora?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could advise me here.

Shifters: Shimano Altus, 3x9
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus, 31.8 clamp
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera
Crankset: SR Suntour, 48/36/26
Cassette: Sunrace, 11-34, 9-speed
Chain: KMC Z9, 9-speed

Comments

• gattaca
    gattaca Posts: 2
    Wow, just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. What an engaged and resourceful community!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Yes you can use everything except the triple crank. Get yourself a double and use the limit screws on the front mech and you can still use your triple shifter. Alternatively buy a double front shifter and new front mech if you want.

Now pick your toys up and understand that throwing a hissy fit because you didn’t get a ton of replies doesn’t exactly reflect well on you either.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think you can just remove your grannie ring and adjust your front limit screws. The front mech gear shifter will do nothing when you try to select the Grannie ring but the weight saving is negligible so i do not see the point.
    Just ride the bike and smell the flowers. :)