Groupset upgrade for a 2015 Trek Domane 2.3

All, I am a bit of a novice and I am interested in upgrading the Groupset currently on my 2015 Trek Domane 2.3. I have no idea what my current Groupset is; I just know that the "crankset" is a Shimano RS500. That may be the same. Whatever I currently have is kind of beat up. I have hit the pavement several times and 2 bike shops have attempted to straighten out a problem with shifting, but to know avail. I think I am ready just to change out the whole Groupset. Is a Shimano 105 R7000 Groupset an option? Many thanks.

Jody

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If this review is correct
    https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/trek/domane-2-3-2015

then your bike has 11-speed 105 shifters,derailleurs and brakes. The cassette is a 12-30 Tiagra and the chainset is the non series R565

R7000 would be somewhat of an upgrade with the option to look at wider range cassettes and the benefit of the new front derailleur design that has the built-in tension device (avoiding the need for an in-line barrel adjuster)
  • apv1
    apv1 Posts: 6
    Yes a new groupset would breathe some life into your bike, you will also nice a nicer crankset and brake set.

You can also use this opportunity to get a gearing ratio and crank length that better suits you, if the current one doesnt already. (length of crank arm and gears that may be easier or harder for your preference)

You can easily spend more money changing individual parts until you find the problem, so I'd save haddle and just bite the bullet. Good luck
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    arlowood said:

If this review is correct
    https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/trek/domane-2-3-2015

then your bike has 11-speed 105 shifters,derailleurs and brakes. The cassette is a 12-30 Tiagra and the chainset is the non series R565

R7000 would be somewhat of an upgrade with the option to look at wider range cassettes and the benefit of the new front derailleur design that has the built-in tension device (avoiding the need for an in-line barrel adjuster)

Is there even such a thing as an 11 speed Tiagra cassette?
  • Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments. I think I will get the R7000 components.