Replacement set of wheels for '09 Focus

Hello All,

I currently have an '09 Focus road bike, that I still enjoy riding but the wheels are starting to come to the end of their natural working life. So I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what to look for in a new set of wheels? Or good wheel sets to look out for in the sales.

Current set:
Wheel Master WHL PR700 ALEX CSL 2800 MSW - Yeah I never upgraded the original set that came with the bike. I didn't go out enough, back then to warrant doing an upgrades.

I have had a look on the various online stores and to be honest, its a mine field to me....Which is why I thought I'd reach out. I'd love to have something a bit more areo. However I don't want to spend silly money. As feel like the bike/ I wouldn't be able to take full advantage of a super light weight, full carbon wheels. So i'm thinking about maybe something around the mid range mark. (I run, rim brakes not disks).

Thanks all!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A better idea of budget would be useful. Not everyone has the same definition of 'silly money'...
  • A better idea of budget would be useful. Not everyone has the same definition of 'silly money'...

Sorry - I should have added that, I'm currently looking to budget / get wife approval at the moment. So I would say something between the 300-500 mark. If I can go cheaper then that for a mid-range set of wheels that would be ideal. If I need to go more then I may have to re-think when I look at this upgrade/ do I want to buy a new (second hand) bike instead.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    I've got a 2011 Focus Cayo, now a year into my third set of wheels so that feels like a long time for the first set to last!
    I went for Fulcrum racing 5 for about £200 this time and happy with them. You'll need to make sure there's a spacer included as your bike will have a 10 speed cassette and the hub will be 11 speed.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fulcrum 5 as above, or something from Wiggle's prime range, which is also pretty good value. As mentioned, you'll need the spacer (should come with the wheels) as they will all be 11 speed now..
  • I've got a 2011 Focus Cayo, now a year into my third set of wheels so that feels like a long time for the first set to last!
    I went for Fulcrum racing 5 for about £200 this time and happy with them. You'll need to make sure there's a spacer included as your bike will have a 10 speed cassette and the hub will be 11 speed.

Thanks Kingstongraham. Was that £200 for the set? Or per wheel?

I brought it while at University, as I use to do a lot of club riding back then. It's been sat idle for a number of years, (never one to sell an old bike). But with becoming a Dad a couple of years ago, I found a couple hours out on the road is the perfect escape. Without getting in to too much trouble.

So she's had a lot of catch up miles lately, which means sadly some bits are showing their age.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    I stuck a brand new pair of Mavic Kysrium Elites on my Cayo about 4 years ago. They have been absolutely bomb proof in all of this time dealing with Hampshire’s beaten up roads and lanes fantastically. I’ve never had to have them straightened etc. Good improvement on the original Fulcrum 7’s which had worn out.
    The Mavics come all set up for tubeless. I found them here for just under £400 for the wheelset, but have not used this retailer before.
    BW

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/mavic-ksyrium-elite-ust-wheelset-4?destination=GBR&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqrGRxa_p6AIVCevtCh3FrQddEAQYDyABEgKPSPD_BwE