Advice for CX mechanic disc brakes

rob796
rob796 Posts: 12
Hello, I have Cinelli Zydecco CX equipped with Shimano BR-R317 post-mount disc brakes. The efficiency of it is very poor. Moreover, I'm struggling with overheating every time I ride in the mountains.I would like to change it to something better. Can you recommend any alternative for these brakes?

thank you very much!

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    The best mechanical disc brakes available are TRP Spyre - Almost universally agreed.

They are unique in that the push from both sides meaning you don't have have one side contacting all the time and it also makes for better modulation and longer pad life.

You can also get Hydraulic brakes that are cable actuated (Hy/Rd brakes) but they are a bit bulky and quite expensive, I own a TRP Spyre equipped gravel bike and despite my 92kg heft I really cannot fault them - They have bags of power and never overheat.

Aside from that I would also strongly urge you to consider decent cables/housing - Something like Jagwire Pro compression free housing will massively improve brake feel and modulation, Make sure you pull through all the slack cable when setting up and cinch up using the barrel adjuster.

As for overheating you might want to look at the pads, some decent aftermarket sintered pads would probably improve things also , sintered pads handle heat better (but can be noisy).

Final thing to say is just check your pads/discs are not too glazed over - A bit of a rub with a abrasive pad and some brake cleaner will improve things also.